Friday, April 06, 2007

Just researching my novel

This will be a short one, appropriate for a Friday night when the cats and the couches are calling. (I've noticed that I often don't 'get around to' posting on Friday nights.) And would you want to keep these guys waiting?


The question on the table is this:

Are you (or is someone you know):
  • male
  • involved in team sports
  • a knitter or other hand-crafter
  • willing to answer a few questions?
As you may surmise, I'm working on a character for my novel who is all of the above (well, he may or may not be willing to answer a few questions). Specifically, he's going to be a pro hockey player who is also a knitter. I'd love to hear about the experiences men who do traditionally female crafts have had in the sports world.

I mean, it's fiction: I can, and will, make it up. But I got to thinking (danger, Will Robinson!), and wondering, how the testosterone of the hockey world and the something-or-other of yarn-and-sticks would mix.

I'm going to try not to prop up stereotypes, by the way, either of hockey players or of knitters. I think this could make him an interesting character, don't you? Potentially? If you have any knowledge or opinions, please do comment, or contact me at ccrinma(AT)hotmail(DOT)com

Thanks, y'all! Happy Friday to you, and watch that holiday weekend traffic, it's bad on the highways!

1 comment:

  1. Any repetitive task lends itself to thinking strategy, understanding, fantasizing, etc. I hear some sports people do needlepoint as a relaxation technique to keep from being unproductively tense before or after a game.

    A hockey player (particularly one who is less than skilled at his hobby/vocation) who also knits takes the time to philosophize, ponder, and produce both tangible and mental results... like... who the murderer is, or how and when to apply the crab-grass killer so the grass survives the application of it, and maybe how to do mitre knitting.

    I likes it.

    ReplyDelete