Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Glowing Orb

When I woke up this morning, it was gray, and raining, and what else is new. Windshield wipers, puddles, and driving to work with surprisingly little traffic*, and what's that, was the sky ... brightening? Maybe? Certainly the wipers were only needed intermittently. Hmm.

*I'd take that commute every day very happily, though I paid the price coming home, karmically speaking.

By 10 am, we had some blue sky, some ... what's the word ... sunshine. As my brother would say, for example when coming out of an afternoon movie, while throwing an arm over his face, "The glowing thing in the sky!" It had an amazing, uplifting effect on my mood. I was all but doing a happy dance. It was a bit chilly in the breeze department, but I was not complaining, no sir! It's sunny! The sky is blue! Trees are budding, the grass looks somewhat green, the snow mounds are almost all melted, and there was hope in the air.

Perhaps that was just the fresh mulch that the landscapers put down, but close enough. It will do. We walked outside at morning break, rejoicing in the blueness of the sky, the warmth of the sun. After lunch, we went outside and walked around the building to get back to our department, a practice I had honestly all but forgotten from Before the Winter. I was simply happy.

Sometime between 2 and 3, I stood up from my desk and saw a distinct lack of sun. A grayness. I don't know where it went, but it was gone, my sunshine, and returned no more today. At least it didn't rain, apart from a brief sprinkle, but I can't say I was pleased. More bewildered. What happened? Where did the sun go? I was so happy... for such a short period of time. They say it's coming again tomorrow, but dare I believe them? Can I trust again?

No comments:

Post a Comment