Friday, August 23, 2024

More On Voting

We just had our primary election in Florida, and turnout in my county was about 25%.

One in four. Oh, people. We can do better.

(I am happy to report, by the way, that the school board candidate who wanted students to kneel for the cross lost.)

They do say they expect turnout in November to be closer to 90%, because it's the presidential election, and gosh, I would hope so. I mean, if you're not voting now...with everything that's at stake....when?

If you've been reading here for a while, you have probably gathered that I am...not a Republican. I was not a huge Biden fan but not hugely against him, even after his debate performance, but when he stepped aside for Kamala Harris, and with all that has happened since then, I have been surprised by the feelings of hope that I'm experiencing. 

And I freely admit that I knew nothing about Tim Walz, but the more I hear, the more I love him. LOVE him. 

I mean, he looks kind of grandpa-like, but he isn't at all old. Compare him to the opposition, for instance.

Remember the man or bear debate from earlier this year?
I know this one is virtually impossible to read, but if you search on "Tim Walz high school project genocide" there are a number of articles on it. It's fascinating! The way he thinks!

There is the absolutely hysterical fact that the other side is trying to claim that Walz wasn't really a coach, because he was an assistant coach, and, like, really? That's the big dirt on him?

Now, of course, for the editors among us, there is a dark side of the ticket to brace for:

Anyway! In all seriousness, I am very reliable in terms of voting in every election--are you? if not, maybe now is the time to start? don't feel bad for the past, change for the future!--but I will admit that I've never been that involved in campaigning, etcetera. But this year, this last month, I am feeling a bit more inspired, and when I saw mention of Postcards to Swing States, I thought, that is something I could do. 

I mean, I am not knocking on doors, or making phone calls, or working the polls. Let's be honest. These are all great things to do, but not for me (eww, people). Writing postcards encouraging people to vote, though, that I can do. And I can afford the stamps, as well as the hand cramps (though if I do some every week, that should be minimal). I signed up to do 100, and chose Florida specifically.

My postcards and instructions arrived this week, and the paperwork has some suggested messages. And maybe I am overly sensitive, but I do not at all like the first suggestion:

Message A: This “social pressure” message is the most effective based on many studies:

Thank you for being a voter! Who you vote for is private, but whether you vote is public record. Please vote in the Tues. Nov 5 election!

That sounds like a threat! No! Personally, I would not at all like to get that message. But the other two suggestions are better, and I'll probably alternate between them.

If you are a US citizen, please register to vote now. And if you're already registered, you can double-check and make sure you still are, here.

Please. It's so important.

12 comments:

  1. I admit that the enthusiasm has also grabbed me a little bit since Harris entered the race. I wrote postcards for the last election and am planning to do it again this year. The swing states are really the crucial part here... I have no doubt Harris will win the popular vote, but what good is that if the Electoral College still decided against her? We gotta do something>
    I've always been a voter... and when I moved to this country and wasn't a citizen, I couldn't vote for almost a decade. Let me tell you, this teaches you for good what a privilege it is to participate in the democratic process. I was so happy that I got citizenship to vote for Obama for his second term!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole Electoral College thing makes me crazy! Voting IS a privilege, and it should count, damn it.

      Delete
  2. I always vote and will happily vote for Harris/Walz. Like San, I think the D will win the popular vote but we may get messed over by the electoral college...again. Grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had read enough about Tim Walz to inwardly plead, pick him, oh please please pick him.

    But I truly had no idea just how powerfully good a choice that was going to turn out to be. Wow. And I think the purity and depth of love on display between his son and him at that convention changed maybe even the whole outcome of the race: do you want the guy whose kids are avoiding him? Or the one who loves every child including yours as well as his? Do you want the people down-ticket who mocked the kid? Who only backtracked after finding out he was neurodiverse, as if it were okay to publicly go after a minor who's neurotypical? The bully, or the one who stands up to the bullies for you?

    I have such fierce hopes for this election--but we have GOT to get out that vote! Thank you for doing those postcards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been a staunch Democrat (Union born and bred!) forever, and I've never missed an election since I was eligible to vote. Ever. I've worked on campaigns for Kerry, Obama, and Hillary. I've worked on ballot initiative campaigns at the state level here in Ohio. I've worked the phones and knocked on doors. I've written postcards and letters, and I've called the offices of so many congresspeople and senators about legislation that I've lost track.

    MoveOn.org and VoteForward (votefwd.org) are both excellent places to get started and find a way to Do Something. My state is lost, I fear; there isn't even a presence for either candidate. But we have a Senate seat that needs to stay blue. It's pivotal. And I'll vote and talk to others about voting for VP Kamala Harris.

    Walz is a great pick, and he has a real down-to-earth authenticity. I hope they showcase him even more in the remaining days. Love the man-bear convo you posted. I'd not only let him hold my purse, I'd have him watch my drink while I went to the restroom at the club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the drink thing, too! I saw a post on social media where a woman at a bar said something about not going to the bathroom because she just got a drink, and a man said "no one is going to drink it if you go," and she was wondering, is that why men think we don't leave our drinks alone?

      Delete
  5. I am so invigorated by the race! I need to think about doing postcards, too. Sometimes it feels so defeating living in Florida and voting. I vote, of course, but it's hard when we're so staunchly Republican now and all the candidates I want to win don't.

    I was a poll worker in the last presidential election and it was such an incredible experience. One I will never repeat because it is such a long day and I never want to do it again, ha. So much respect for poll workers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephany--Thank you so much for being a poll worker. Those are the true heroes of Election Day.

      Delete
    2. Yes, one of my friends is a poll worker and it is WORK! Very necessary work, but work.

      Delete
  6. I don't like that message about it being public record. Wow. Glad you have other options!

    I might let Walz watch my purse or even my drink, but I wouldn't let him make me tacos.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkwZ_A49hb8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, as a low-spice-tolerance person, I get that! But I know what you mean.

      Delete