Friday, December 14, 2012

Just ... No Words

I've been shaken all day, since the news started to come out about the school shooting in Connecticut. Any mass shooting is awful, but an elementary school just seems too awful to bear. And just before Christmas, all those lives lost, the families shattered ... there aren't words for how utterly awful it is. I watched the coverage unfolding online, wanting to know why, even while I couldn't imagine any sane reason there could be. Saying "mental illness" feels facile, but what else can you call it? I was hearing the lines from the Boomtown Rats song going through my head:
And they can see no reasons
Cause there are no reasons
Well. Back to the regular drivel tomorrow, I think.

2 comments:

  1. I've been in tears off and on all day. It's just too horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading about it is hard enough, but pictures--I just can't look at them. And the worst part was that somehow some of our older students found out about it during the day (internet use, probably). How do you explain it to them when you don't understand it, yourself?

    ReplyDelete