Monday, December 10, 2012

An Unexpected Development in Christmas Prep

I got so much done this weekend, I frankly amazed myself. What I can accomplish when I'm not flattened by a migraine! I did have some head twinges Saturday afternoon, in fact, but it never got bad. When I noticed it getting dark last night I felt a brief moment of sadness that I was running out of weekend time, but then I saw that it was only 4:30 (curse you, winter), which at least meant I managed to get a fair bit more done before bedtime.Such as? Well, in no particular order:
  • laundry, Friday night and again Sunday (two weeks worth)
  • made haystacks, as mentioned
  • had a good time at the Latke Party
  • knit, also as mentioned (while watching Another Thin Man, Finding Nemo, and Love, Actually over the course of the weekend)
  • vacuumed
  • washed dishes, and more dishes, and more dishes (see haystacks above, and soup below)(plus, one does keep eating)
  • made soup
  • ran the dishwasher
  • washed Grandma's shawl, then wrapped it and my aunt's presents and boxed them to mail
  • wrapped a few remaining presents
  • put the rest of the roll of pretty (to look at) but thin and annoying (to work with) wrapping paper in the recycling (no way am I storing that all year only to curse it again in 2013; life is too short)
  • balanced the checkbook (and may I say, ouch, those vet bills right before Christmas, ow)
  • rode the bike, though not for long--not even as long as I've been managing, which isn't all that long anyway. My quads were killing me for some reason, speaking of ow. I have to try stretching and see if that will help, because holy hell, that hurt.
Did anyone catch what was NOT on that list? Right: buying a Christmas tree. And that's because I decided not to get one. I know, after I specifically said I wanted to get one this year! I had planned to get one on Saturday, but I realized when I woke up that I wasn't feeling at all excited about it, just dutiful. And really, duty to who? I live alone, no one cares if I get a tree or not. If the idea fills me with not just vague pleasure but weariness and resignation, well, why do it? Why spend the time and the money on something just because I thought I wanted to? Or I feel like I ought to? Perhaps this will give added impetus to my plan or re-working the office, to make more room for next year. The right decision for me this year.

Meanwhile, I put up stockings and other decorations, and now I have nothing more serious than cards left on my Christmas-related schedule for the next week and a half, and that feels remarkably good, I tell you.

2 comments:

  1. You know, if you don't want a tree don't get a tree. I am totally behind that reasoning. You should be having fun with your decorating; it shouldn't become a burden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had years without Christmas trees--just enjoyed my parents' instead. I just miss it when The Cat doesn't get to look cute sleeping under it.

    ReplyDelete