Monday, December 19, 2011

No Tree For Me This Year

While I wanted to get a tree this year, same as I always want one, in the end it was too late, too much, and not going to happen. Even up to yesterday, I was thinking of it; in fact, I thought I would get one of those little potted ones, maybe three feet tall, and put it on the coffee table, thus solving the "no good place to put a tree" issue I have every year. But when I went to look at them, they had very small ones that were not balsam/Frazier firs, which didn't look like Christmas trees to me, and slightly taller ones that did, but were $60. Which, excuse me, a cut tree twice the height costs half as much. I know, you can plant it after, or at least I could find someone with a yard who wants to plant it, but man, sixty bucks. I just couldn't do it.

But I looked at the cut ones, and thought about dealing with the stand and the watering and the lights and the decorating, Christmas only a week away and I won't even be here ... and I bought a wreath for the scent and called it a day. I think it was the right decision for me this year; that migraine a few weeks ago threw off my getting things done mojo (what little I have), I've been scrambling ever since (more than usual, I mean), and I have to acknowledge my limits. But that doesn't stop me from being sad about it.

The three-party weekend was moderately successful, but not something I want to do again. I enjoyed all three parties, but being the way I am, I needed to psych myself up before and wind down after, and it turned out that these pre- and post-party 'activities' were not ones that combined well with Getting Things Done. On the already-crazy last weekend before Christmas, this was challenging. Even if I was only at each party for an hour or so, the total time spent was half my weekend.

If all three parties are on the same weekend next year, I may have to decline one. I kind of don't want to ... but I think I'll need to. Not that I'm going to worry much about it for the next eleven months, right? Sufficient unto the season is the Christmas-party-angst thereof.

Christmas is Sunday, but Mum arrives tomorrow, so it's time for the usual "don't know how often I'll be posting after this" announcement. I may be here often, or it may be a few days of radio silence. Happy holidays to you! And you!

*****
Bonus!
You're a goalie, waiting while the crew repairs a piece of broken glass. How do you have a little fun while staying loose and keeping warmed up?

Dance!



And as someone near the camera pointed out, he can dance on skates! What fun.

1 comment:

  1. Seems to me like you did the best thing for yourself this year. Having a wreath is a lovely compromise. Have you considered maybe just putting up some lights in the window? Either way, I know you'll have a wonderful time with your mother so it's all good. Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete