Wednesday, October 14, 2009

As Soon As the Vitamin C Runs Out

Last winter I bought a big bottle of vitamin C, since I feel it is neither proven nor disproven to help keep colds away, and maybe it will help.

The bottle ran out a week or two ago.

And now, I feel ill.

Not horrible, but not well. I'm spending my time coughing just a little, blowing my nose slightly more than usual, feeling draggy, assuring myself that moving slowly is allowed, agreeing with others that I sound congested. It could be allergies (a nice, non-specific cause of blame), or the change in the weather*, or maybe I can blame it on my sore thumb** somehow, but I don't know. The vitamin C connection makes me nervous.

*Three things make me say so: this morning I had to scrape the windshield for the first time this season, I got out the hair dryer to get my hair less wet before going out (something I only do in cold weather), and Harold has started curling up on the hot spot again.
**Yes, still. And how.

At least I don't feel worse today than I did yesterday. (Perhaps all that oj that I mainlined did help; I'll have more tonight.) At one point this afternoon, though, I felt as though a strong breeze would knock me over, and that I would fall asleep as soon as I was down.

Just let me be well for Rhinebeck: I've looked forward to this all year!

In some good news, it was really, really quiet at work today. How quiet was it? I didn't get an e-mail all day. Well, not quite true, my boss e-mailed me mid-afternoon just to check that it was working (since I usually get some messages over the course of a day), and we had a little back-and-forth about a small file issue I found, but otherwise, nada. Pretty weird, actually, but not at all unwelcome after a very, very busy day yesterday (back from time off times coworker on vacation plus feeling ill equals AUGH!). Apparently the higher-ups were at some off-site meeting, which now that I think of it makes me a little nervous. Well, nothing I do will change what they do, so I'll try not to worry about it.

I want to write lots about this weekend, but I've used up my stamina for tonight. Let me just show you this shirt I got (from my aunt for my birthday):

2 comments:

  1. Well this is only anecdotal, but in the 11 years I have been taking Vitamin C *religiously* I have had only 2 colds, and each time it was minor, lasting 1 -2 days.

    I take 500 mg X2 per day, as the body does not store Vitamin C, nor can it absorb more than about 500 mg within 4-5 hours.

    Just sayin' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd probably agree it's that lovely combination of things. I saw a teacher going down for the count at the end of last week and haven't seen him all this week.

    My cat is in step with Harold--she's tucked in the sheet I throw over the armchair, right where the sheet pools onto the floor--also a hot spot because of a heating duct, I think.

    We should probably follow their lead and rest up. After we take our vitamins.

    ReplyDelete