Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Thoughts of autumn and hockey and cats, or something

When I got home tonight, there was a smell of wood smoke in the air, which smells so autumnal, and in the chilly air, I bid summer a reluctant farewell. Time to give up on that. Yes, it was warmer early this week, but we're done. It's Autumn.

I was babysitting my friend's twins again tonight, and after getting them in bed, I discovered a pleasant surprise: the third period of the Bruins' pre-season game in Toronto (I don't get the NHL channel, but it seems my friends do). Hockey, hockey, hockey! They won, 3-2, but just seeing it was the best part. Bergeron set up a nice goal, too. Hockey, hockey, hockey!

I came home for a quick dinner and to check on Harold before going over. He's definitely doing better. His limp seems to be getting better, probably from practice, ba-dum-bum. No, seriously, he's limping less, which is good news. He's resting a lot--yes, even more than usual! Who would have thought that was possible! And his spirits seem to be good. He's happy to see me, to curl up on my lap or just next to me, he purrs. I have moments of thinking I'm a bad mother for not giving him the pain-killers from the vet, but really, he seems fine, and he was so wrong on Sunday afternoon. Off-kilter and aware of it. I'm pretty sure I'm doing the right thing. I do still have the drugs, if he seems to need anything. For now, no.

I was thinking about the bills from this whole experience, and though I'm not excited to pay them, or to pinch pennies as needed to do so, I'm grateful for a couple of things.

I'm grateful that I have credit cards.

And that I never had to ask what things like x-rays would cost, in order to determine if I could afford care for my pet. (My baby.)

I'm grateful that I got the old computer dealt with, and replaced my broken camera, before this came up. Those were both important things for me, and I was spared any agonizing about whether I should hold off until this belt-tightening passes. Done deal, move on.

Startlingly Useless Traffic Report
The 8:03 report this morning started out thusly: "North of town, 128, 93, 3, 1, 495, all are heavy. Downtown..."

Wait, what? They're usually pretty specific: 128 south is slow from route 28 to Washington Street, 93 south is backed up to Roosevelt Circle, there's a breakdown on 3 south before Treble Cove Road... What's up with that little shorthand, WBZ radio?

I also was thinking, as I drove home, that in traffic as in so many areas of life, expectations make such a difference. If the traffic report tells me that 128 is backed up to the exit just before 93, that's not a big deal. If it's three exits before, bigger deal.

If they say it's one exit, but really it's three, I'm annoyed. If they say it's three and I breeze along until two exits before, I'm rather pleased. Like I beat the odds or something. All about expectations.

And now, it's all about sleep. This week, my reaction to the extra stress has me extra-tired. I've gone to bed early the last three night, and still been tired. We'll see what the later night does.

No comments:

Post a Comment