Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Radio, and work thoughts

Listening to the radio on the way to work this morning. One station's host was talking about some video snippet that he put up online over the weekend, then took down, but others had already copied it, so it's still out there even though he took it down, etcetera ad infinitum (I changed stations away and came back to find the story still going on). And the co-host vouched for him, rather earnestly, that she had searched for the story and found--this is an exact quote--"tens and tens and tens" of instances of it out there in the ether.

Tens and tens and tens?

************

Jess wrote this morning on the subject of work and leisure. I answered briefly there, but in more depth: Would I work if I didn't need the money? No way, Jose!

I've been laid off twice since I moved back to MA, and it certainly sucks. Having time and no money is nasty! Perhaps even worse than having money but no time.

But if I could have removed the money worries and the need to find another job, it would have been quite pleasant. Sleep in; no rushing to get somewhere on time; read, watch TV, play around on the computer, knit, pet the cats, cook and bake; shop when the stores are less full; stay up late without paying the price in the morning ... oh, look, I went full circle!

Truly, I might want to find part-time volunteer work after a while, to give my days some structure. But really, I think I'd feel about a life of leisure the way a friend of my mother's felt about eating out. She'd moved to a new city for a demanding job, and with no time to settle in, she ate out constantly. My father asked her later if she got sick of it, eating out all the time, and she said sure: after about a year, she was ready for a meal at home. Yup.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that sounds about right. Especially when my alarm goes off way too early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete