Thursday, November 01, 2007

Movies I'm waiting to see, and the one I saw

There are a couple of movies coming out that I want to see. Back in August, I saw a trailer for August Rush, which looked like just my cup of tea. And, it has Freddie Highmore (so great in Finding Neverland), Keri Russell (who was so good in Waitress), and Jonathan Rhys Meyers (who I liked so much in Bend It Like Beckham). Oh, and Robin Williams. This one opens for Thanksgiving. Can't wait!

Then I read about one that was very well-received at the Toronto Film Festival, called Breakfast with Scot. It gets two of my interests right away: hockey and knitting. Megan Follows, too! There isn't much info on this out, and no release date in the U.S. that I could find in a quick search. I hope it comes south!

Then there's The Golden Compass, based on Philip Pullman's books, which I loved (where do you think Pan got his name?). As with all "beloved books made into movies", I'm strictly in the "hoping they do the story justice" mode. Having books you like made into movies can be a mixed blessing.

Which also applies to The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, though as that doesn't come out until next May, there's plenty of time to get ready for it.

Then, I went to the movies Monday night, having been given a pass to see The Kite Runner. Whew! A very good movie, but there were a few scenes that have stuck with me longer then I would choose. It's very thought-provoking, which is normally good, but there were a few violent scenes that I actually wish I could forget. According to the friend I went with, who had read the book where I had not, the movie-makers actually toned the violence down, so I won't be reading the book, no matter how good it is (and it's supposed to be excellent). I have to sleep at night, after all. I usually go for the happy endings, and while there are exceptions, there aren't many.

Seen anything good yourself? Waiting for anything?

1 comment:

  1. We rented _The Village_ (M. Night Shyamalan) for Halloween. I hadn't seen it when it came out in the theaters -- trailer looked too horrorshow -- but it is equal parts spooky and warm-hearted.

    ReplyDelete