Sunday, September 09, 2007

Finally, Nantucket Garden Photos

Well, garden photos of my trip to Nantucket are what I promised, and here we are at last! These are mostly of my cousin's garden, but some are around the island, and true to form, I generally don't know what the flowers are, but aren't they lovely?



She grows grapes, and puts something around them in hopes of keeping the birds off. I thought it looked neat.




Extreme close-up. In my family we call this a wallpaper shot.




There were hydrangeas everywhere, which I had heard about.


And look who I found sunning himself for the camera:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In knitting news, I have finished the square for Ms. K, and I washed and blocked it last night, and it looks good (photo is pre-washing):


but it's 9 by 9, not 10 by 10.

On the other hand, it doesn't have the black border yet. Would a half-inch border be too much? Should I just make another, bigger one?

I'm so much better at items where it doesn't really matter what size the pieces finish up as. If there's such a thing as a free-form knitter, that's me. This should be so simple, knit a ten-inch square, yet here I am on my second try and it's still not right. Ugh.

No time to worry at it today. But: weigh in, would you, on what I should do?

5 comments:

  1. I would do the border. I can't quite tell, but it looks like the yarn is at a large enough gauge that 1/2" wouldn't be a lot of rows. But if so, you could try 1/4" of black then 1/4" of the rose color and see how that looks, if you think 1/2" of black is too overwhelming.

    It's beautiful. I hadn't seen that site asking for squares. If I weren't so overwhelmed knitting charity mittens...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think 1/2" black border all round would look really quite nice. Are you planning to knit or crochet it? If it were I, I would really appreciate someone reminding me that I'd need to make 3 stitches at each corner so it would lie flat...

    Actually, I know that for WAM squares normally they are crochet around anyhow to make them all a uniform size so you might just be able to let it be?

    Love the flower photos too - especially those Chinese/Japanese Lanterns! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...I know these!
    tiger lilies
    chinese lantern
    grape whosis
    tiger lilies
    pink cosmos
    close-up of autumn sedum
    autumn sedum
    brown-eyed Susans
    hydrangea
    moth

    And I vote for an edging. Amy's idea was a goodie, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would wash it and see what happens. Cotton sometimes gets bigger. (At least in my limited, mildly aggravated experience)

    Second photo down looks like orange tomatillos. What are they? Do they make fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The second photo is a perennial called Chinese Lanterns. They don't make fruit (to my knowledge) . . . they're just really, really pretty. The lanterns dry a lighter orange and look great in fall dried flower arrangements.

    That last photo, I'm pretty sure, is a butterfly--a fritillary of some kind. Here's one for comparison.

    The coloring isn't exactly the same, but the shape is definitely fritillary. (We've got them up here, and yours looked very familiar.)

    The square looks great. Put a border on it, and it'll be smashing. (I'm a fan of the narrow black border with an outside rose border, but that's just me.)

    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete