Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A gift for you, and my new best friend

Want a song stuck in your head?

It's the final countdown! (bah-dah-dah dah, bah-dah-dah dah dah)

Okay, so I never said I can sing. In fact, I've said I can't. Never mind. If you didn't catch it, be grateful, and move on.

Songs that have been stuck in my head today: Pixies, Jimmy Buffett, and the Heat Miser's song from The Year Without A Santa Claus. Eclectic, anyone?

Days to closing: 7

Days to moving: 10

Estimated remaining days of sanity: 2 (This may be optimistic.)

Now, math was never my best subject, but I have a hazy impression that there may be trouble ahead...

My new best friend is Ryan at Comcast, with whom I spent a far-more-pleasant-than-it-might-have-been half hour on the phone last night. Pending the arrival of their Person after I move, I should be set up for phone, cable, and internet in the new place. After all my waffling and poor attempts at decision-making on these issues (far too boring to detail), this feels like huge progress, and to have laughed through most of the conversation was an unexpected bonus. Thank you, Ryan, you made my night.

Today, however, was the longest day. Before lunch, I was ready for the end of the day. We do a catalog twice a year, and while I generally enjoy getting everything as good as it can be, at some point in each catalog prep process, I get sick of the whole thing (then I get my second wind). Today was that day--the sick of it day, not the second wind. (There is a valid reason why I didn't want to close in November, aside from my general preference for having things my way. This is one of two times a year when I'd like to not have big distractions.)

I had moderate success in mood management with the popular Comfort Eating strategy. In normal circumstances, I try to be aware of whether I am actually hungry before I eat, not just bored or upset or faced with something edible that I like. Desperate times, however, call for desperate eating.

If you like butterscotch-flavor things, by the way, let me recommend Mrs. Hanes' Moravian cookies. (You can order them online! Can you say impulse buy?) The other varieties that I've tried are good, but the butterscotch, ooh. Such a worthwhile expense.

Now, in addition to the million things I have to do, blogging one-handed is getting old (the other hand is playing tug-of-war with the I'm-so-neglected feline). Time to disappoint you and him, and go wash the dishes and, I don't know, pack something.

No comments:

Post a Comment