Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Shoes and ships and sealing wax

This is going to be a long post with a short attention span. I've been thinking of so many things that I should blog about, I had to make a list. Not that that's so unusual, since I am a list-maniac, list-aholic even, but still. Lots going on. If you don't enjoy a topic, move on to the next. In no particular order:

Knitting. I'm still working on the spiral scarf, and at a guess it's about two thirds done (it's a guess since I'll stop when I like the length, or run out of the yarn I guess, but I think that won't be a problem, famous last words). I'm still enjoying it, but I put it aside briefly to work on a square for Laurie's grandmother, who's sick. Another of her blog-stalkers organized a group blanket effort, which is pretty nice of her. Read the whole blog if you want to know the backstory to that. My square won't take long; it's more than half done already, just from watching this week's House and Studio 60. (Both were good, by the way. House started back up a couple of weeks ago, and is keeping up the good work, and I liked the promise of Aaron Sorkin's new show, though of course nothing will replace The West Wing in my mind. But back to knitting.) I'm making a square with a cat on it, of course!

Next: I ran across this guy's blog via someone else's blog, and he is a person after my own heart. And I quote:

Of course, that doesn’t stop people from asking what I’m making when I’m KIPing. (How exactly does one form the gerund of the acronym KIP? I really want to write “KIPping”, but it feels weird to have the capitalization disjoint in the middle of the word. Also, you really don’t need to make it into a gerund anyway because the first letter in KIP stands for “knitting”, so by adding the -ing to it, I’m saying “I’m knitting in public-ing”. This is going to bug me for the rest of the day.)


I absolutely know where he's coming from. And I love a blogger who throws "gerund" into a knitting blog so casually.

Mustn't forget hockey. The Bruins, after losing their first preseason game (let's not talk about that), won last night's game, 5-2. Yay! Although it won't really be real hockey season until I can watch them on TV, it's still great to be able to find something worth reading in the Sports section of the Globe every morning. Every morning! Hockey talk! Hooray. Even though it's not always Kevin Paul Dupont (a truly excellent writer), it's still good. They play Montreal again tonight, so we shall see if I'm smiling again tomorrow.

Of course, if I am, it may be because I'm thinking about the condo, which does tend to make me smile; and if I'm not, it may be because my hands are still hurting. They've been bothering me this week, and I'm not sure why. Colder weather coming in, probably, although it's tempting to blame it, along with anything else that annoys me, on PMS. What a nice scapegoat! When I find myself trying to wash my hands gently, I know something's up. Anyway, ow. Moving on. I am told that the seller has signed the P&S, and my mortgage too is supposedly on track, and so I'm getting quotes from movers, and tonight I notified my landlord. He's a nice guy, he was really pleased for me!

Finally, a little story. On my drive to work, I turn onto this narrow road through a wooded area, houses on one side and only trees on the other, and you'd never think it connected to an industrial area half a mile further down until you see a semi coming the other way, whoomp! as it passes with inches to spare. Anyway, it's pretty and peaceful between trucks, and one day recently I was driving along, singing along with the song on the CD (it was Depeche Mode, of course, though I don't recall which song), because I never let my awful singing voice stop me from singing in the car, in the shower, or in front of the cats. I do try to spare other humans, but anyway, back to the point, I was driving and singing and suddenly whack! Small sharp noise that startled me enough that it's a good thing there wasn't a semi coming the other way at just that instant.

So what happened? Well, keep in mind that this car, bought earlier this year (yes, it has been a good year, thanks for noticing), is the first I've ever had with a sunroof/moonroof/whatever it is. As I drove, an acorn dropped through into the car, and since it hit plastic, made a decently large noise for such a small object.

Once my heart returned to its normal rhythm, I was amazed at the odds of it falling through the roof opening of a car moving at a decent clip down the road. I mean, what are the odds, anyway? I have no idea. I'm Words, not Numbers. But still, here's what it said to me:

If something is meant to happen, it will.

Which is not a bad lesson to learn, and that's why the acorn is on my desk. Particularly as I've been going through this whole condo process, I need to remind myself of this regularly.

And finally (no, really, I mean it this time, Pan is calling me), a gratuitous Harold picture. I call this "Talk to the Paw, 'Cause the Kitty Ain't Listening".

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I found you through your comment on Crazy Aunt Pearl.

    I really like your blog - it's very well written.

    Okay. You can choose to ignore me now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the gratuitous use of "gerund" in that post.

    So, why is the sea boiling hot, anyway?

    ReplyDelete