Sunday, July 07, 2024

Why, Yes, I AM a Crazy Person. Knitter. Whatever.

When I was writing up my recent guest post for NGS, one of the things I mentioned knitting was the 2-in-1 socks, and apparently thinking of it woke the I-should-do-that-again feeling that had been slumbering in me since I finished the first ones. I can't really explain why. You do it once to prove you can, but doing it again? Hmmm.

The pattern strongly suggests using yarn that you can start in two different colors, like different points in self-striping yarn, and that is totally true. My yarn choice the first time was not good in that regard, but this time, I knew better.

I wound up this beautiful colorway, trifolium, in the Continuum yarn from String Theory Colorworks.

So pretty. It rolls through red, orange, yellow, green, purple.
I wound that off into two balls, and cast on. Separate at first:
And then combined.
And a while later, I had this:
See? One inside the other.
I checked frequently to make sure they weren't crossed anywhere.
The ribbing is...well, it's a total PITA. When you get to the body of the socks, you're knitting the inside sock and purling the outside sock, so the two working yarns stay where they are, front and back. But in order to do one-by-one ribbing, you have to move the front yarn in, knit a stitch, move the yarn back, knit the inside stitch, purl the outside stitch, then bring the back yarn forward to purl the inside stitch, then put the back yarn behind again. And then do it again. And again.

The pattern says to do an inch of ribbing, and adds: "You could work for longer, but you probably won't want to." Word.

By the time you give up on the ribbing and switch to the plain stockinette, it almost doesn't seem like a crazy thing to be doing.
Almost.
So. I have no reasons. But this is what I'm doing. Apparently.

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's definitely not the best way to make socks! But hey, I'm having fun.

      Delete
  2. What gorgeous yarn.
    And, yeah - what Nicole said! This does look hard. But also I felt deep pangs of regret I can't knit. How incredible you can create things like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get a lot of satisfaction from creating things. It helps get ma past the frustration when things don't work.

      Delete
  3. Ribbing on its own is enough of a chore, but doing it that way--torture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would usually put at least an inch and a half of ribbing at the top, but not on these! So much annoyance.

      Delete
  4. So. Much. Work!!! but gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really is the silliest way to make socks, and for non-knitters, making your own socks seems silly enough. But I'm having fun.

      Delete
  5. This is way above my level and boggles my mind. I could never keep track of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you had shown me this 20 years ago, I would have boggled too. And trust me, I check constantly that I haven't slipped up on one stitch.

      Delete