Thursday, July 04, 2024

From Schoolhouse Rock for the Holiday

When I was a kid, I loved the Schoolhouse Rock segments that played as part of Saturday morning cartoons (IYKYK). They were fun and I learned things from them without feeling like a lesson was being pushed on me (set it to music and I'm halfway there). I'm Just a Bill, Conjunction Junction, so many great ones.

For instance, this is why I know the words to the Preamble to the Constitution:



And for some reason, this week, with Independence Day as well as the recent "Supreme Court"* ruling, I am also thinking of No More Kings:
*Not feeling so supreme right now, I have to tell you.



Hmmm, yeah. I mostly loved the word ones, of course, but this week, history is more pressing. As someone on social media put it:



6 comments:

  1. I agree that America doesn't deserve a birthday party this year. It so annoys me that the supposedly ultra patriotic types are the ones who are taking away what this country is supposed to be. (not a kingdom!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a stressful day. *sigh*

    When I taught classes in political science, I used this SNL parody of "I'm Just a Bill." I still think it's funny.
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrEbWw8RIdmvb4uSHr7w8QF;_ylu=c2VjA3NlYXJjaAR2dGlkAw--;_ylc=X1MDOTY3ODEzMDcEX3IDMgRmcgNtY2FmZWUEZnIyA3A6cyx2OnYsbTpzYixyZ246dG9wBGdwcmlkA3lDc1czT3VjUVZ1V3hzWW1xT2JqVkEEbl9yc2x0AzAEbl9zdWdnAzEEb3JpZ2luA3ZpZGVvLnNlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMwBHFzdHJsAzQyBHF1ZXJ5A3NubCUyMHBhcmFkeSUyMGknbSUyMGp1c3QlMjBhJTIwYmlsbCUyMGV4ZWN1dGl2ZSUyMG9yZGVyBHRfc3RtcAMxNzIwMTQwODg4?p=snl+parady+i%27m+just+a+bill+executive+order&ei=UTF-8&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av%2Cm%3Asb%2Crgn%3Atop&fr=mcafee&type=E211US714G0#id=1&vid=3e63e495659de14281e68765286b34e8&action=view

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone said on the big blue social media site, we've got a candidate running on their record and one running from his record.

    And one of those is going to pick the next Supreme Court justices. And I say plural because I think the follow-the-money mantra from Watergate days is going to trip at least two of the current ones up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Schoolhouse Rock. We need it now more than ever, seriously.

    Alison and Margaret, I agree. Project 2025 is frightening. I don't want that reality; this one, thanks to SCOTUS and the republicans, is bad enough.

    ReplyDelete