Monday, November 04, 2019

A Bit Limp

I'm doing better this morning, but yesterday was A Really Bad Day.

Backstory: A year ago, I was scheduled for my first-ever colonoscopy (yay for getting older, but also yay for not dying of colon cancer, so there's that). The day before, as you may know, you're on a liquid diet, and in the afternoon you start drinking the prep liquid that clears out everything that's left. Unfortunately for me, that Sunday a year ago, I got a terrible migraine in the afternoon, and before I was even due to start drinking the goop, I was throwing up. There was no way I could keep the stuff down, so I had to cancel the procedure. (Oh, the guilt!)

I put off and put off rescheduling it, but back in August, I finally made myself do it--for September, which I then rescheduled again when September got so crazy. Today was supposed to be the day, which means that yesterday at four, I was supposed to start drinking the prep solution.

However, the same damned thing happened again. Mid-afternoon, I started getting a headache, it got worse and worse, and by three, I was throwing up the chicken broth and jello that was all I'd had to eat. By four, I couldn't keep down water, and yet my body just kept trying to vomit. It was utterly miserable. I quickly went from "do I have to cancel, again, really?" to "I wonder if I should go to urgent care for this?" I kept lying down and resting, then getting up, having a small drink of water, and throwing up again.

Horrendous.

So now, I know I have to reschedule the damned thing, and I don't want to. I mean, it's probably a coincidence that this has happened twice on prep day, but I only get a few of these terrible migraines a year: this was only the second one this year, and I had three last year, but before that I went three and a half years without one! It's just such a coincidence. I'm going to have PTSD next time.

I'm also rather annoyed that I have now twice done the "week of no advil and be careful what you eat" and at least partial days of no solid food, and all for naught.

2 comments:

  1. Please be careful. My niece got the flu in April, ordinary respiratory flu, but got dehydrated with it and then got too ill to get up and by the time her ten year old called my sister/his grandmother, Emily needed an ambulance.

    Sepsis had set in.

    They had to amputate her fingertips and toes but after something like a month in the ICU she pulled through.

    Dehydration is not something to mess with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!! I wonder if the fasting is throwing off your blood sugar or something? And seconding Alison, make sure you rehydrate. I hop you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete