Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Back in the Water

After leaving the gym up north before I moved, I wasn't 100% certain I would join one down here, but I decided to, in the end. I mean, they say exercise is good for me, right? Just because I've never seen a positive effect from it doesn't mean it isn't doing something hidden and good for me. (Sigh...) And the one thing it does do is shut up the doctors who ask if I exercise, so there's that.

As far as I could find out, the only option for what I want near to me was the Y, and since a 10-minute drive (each way) beats a 40- or 50-minute drive (each way), I decided to join there, even though:
  1. It costs exactly twice as much as the gym I went to up north; and
  2. The aqua fit classes are in the mornings, not in the evenings, so I had to tweak my work schedule for it. (I certainly understand why they are, but that doesn't make it more convenient for the working person here.)
The first point is just irritating (I would rather spend the money on yarn, chocolate, books, or any number of other things), but I can afford it, so fine. The convenience is worth the money; how often would I talk myself out of going with a longer drive? I don't know the exact answer, but I would bet on it being non-zero.

For the second, I had to make sure that work was okay with my schedule shift, which it was, so now I'll be starting later on Tuesdays and Thursdays*, and working later all week to make up the time. Which I would mind less if it could be for something more fun, but oh well. Say it together: It's good for me.
*Since those are the days they do aqua fit; MWF they do aqua jogging, zzzz, and the Saturday class is described as high-intensity, an instant turnoff for me.

Anyway, as you may gather, I went to the first class this morning, and it was ... fine. The instructor's style is a little different, but nothing I can't get used to, and it's certainly a workout (she said, touching her bicep and wincing). As long as she doesn't play that song I hate every time, and she said she wouldn't...

The biggest difference between the gyms here and up north is that down here, the pool is outside. Gracious! How strange to me. Add sunblock to the list of things to remember. It does mean that I watched an ibis fly by during class, and a couple of times a dragonfly came and checked us out.

Another difference is that, while most of the facility is recently renovated, the locker rooms are not. Picture a public restroom, with a few stalls and sinks, then add a single shower, and a dozen small, rusty lockers with a bench*, in a space as wide as a hallway.
*Which blocks the lower lockers

The woman who was at the desk when I signed up said that they're planning to renovate those, but don't know when it will be, and added that most people in the swim classes go home to clean up instead, which, yes, I imagine they do! Rather chicken-and-egg, that argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment