Saturday, September 16, 2017

Ow, Literal and Metaphorical

Luckily, I didn't make any plans for today after getting the mammogram done, because it was quite painful, and I have spent the hours since muttering "Ow, owwwww," without conscious thought, which would be problematic in a lot of social situations. This time wasn't quite as bad as the call-back I had in 2012, but almost. Owwww. You have to do it, at least it's only yearly, but ow.

On top of that, I was frustrated today in a quest relating to my little tablet, which has recently started to complain about how it's almost out of storage space, and whining about how it isn't going to be able to doooooo anything if I don't make room. I had already moved all my photos off the thing, which I hoped would help, but I have three games on it that turn out to take up a ridiculous amount of storage space, and I want to keep them, so I was hoping there would be another solution.

Unfortunately, the solution seems to be "get another tablet with more storage space," which isn't the end of the world as a concept, but multiple AT&T stores later, no one has what I want, which is small (for a tablet) but large (in terms of storage; meaning more than 16GB). Mine is seven and a half inches by four and a quarter, and it fits in my hand fairly comfortably, but the 16GB is clearly not enough. All I want is the same size outside, bigger inside (paging the TARDIS).

(One of the guys who helped me almost fell over when I told him that one of the reasons I don't want to switch to a smart phone, in place of the dumb-phone-and-tablet combo, is because I'm paying about $50 a month for this. Apparently this is impossibly low. Suits me fine. I am NOT paying $100 or more monthly for what I use it for. No.)

The last store offered to order one for me (because of course they didn't have it in stock), but it's about half an inch longer and half an inch wider, which puts it straight into "uncomfortable to hold" territory for me. And since the arthritis is only going to get worse over the years, I'm pretty sure I would have hesitated at that, even without the $250 price tag, which oh my god are you kidding me? When I got this one two years ago, I paid $15 total for it (well, plus taxes I'm sure, but you know what I mean). I mean, I get it, it's nice that you can pay it off monthly, "just ten dollars a month," but it still adds up to "you're joking, right?"

So, if anyone knows of where/how I can get my hands on a small tablet with more than 16GB, that works on AT&T's systems, let me know, would you? I tried poking around online, but thanks to that first point up there, I am clearly lacking the patience for this kind of search today.

Owww, owww...

No comments:

Post a Comment