Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Carlos; Bruins; Berkeley and a Play

Most days when I'm working, Carlos has a fit of the don't-leave-me-alones and will come to the office a few times in a row, wanting me to come back to bed with him. I will take him back and try to settle him down, but it often doesn't "take" the first time (or first seven times). Today, as I patted him on the soft warm bed, in the sun, by the open window on a lovely day, he was all, "I know you're just going to leave again."
Silly cat.

~~~~~
The Bruins preseason game last night was televised, the last one that will be (though granted, there are only two left). They won, which was nice, but I'm more excited for the regular season, which starts next Thursday. Hockey's coming back!

One surprising, though not bad, thing about the schedule is that for the first time in my memory, I won't be missing a game while I'm at Apple Festival. So odd! They play the Thursday game, then not until the Monday matinee. I'm only taking Friday off, and will drive home Sunday night, so no remote monitoring required.

Well, not until Monday, when I will keep half an eye on them while working. Naturally.

~~~~~
Back to California! On Labor Day Monday, we went up to Berkeley, north of Oakland, for an outdoor performance, or as they called it, very-nearly-Shakespeare-in-the-park.
The Knight of the Burning Pestle was first performed in 1607, and is, they say, the first parody written in English. When CR brought it up, I couldn't turn down the opportunity to see it.


The conceit is of a play-within-a-play, and overall it was very entertaining. However! One of the characters, who in her defense was supposed to be annoying, went far above the call of duty. Her voice alone was so incredibly irritating that my peaceable mother was whispering of a wish for a gun before the show was over. So, kudos to the actress for throwing herself so fully into the part (unless her voice actually sounds like that, and she wasn't doing it intentionally, horrible thought), but next time, dial it down a little.

Of course, I was knitting as I watched.
And it turned out, as I saw at intermission, that so was a woman behind me! But they left before the show was done, perhaps driven away by Mistress Nell.

Other Berkeley notes: we ate lunch at BurgerMeister, which was good. And Pegasus Books was really fun!
If you go (and you should, if you're around), look for the giant rubber band ball at the register--it's about the size of a basketball--and give it a bounce. Carefully!
It's surprisingly satisfying. Almost exhilarating, in a "don't lose control" way.

Other California stories:
Color everywhere
Oakland Zoo
Zoo butts and cat cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment