Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Spoiler Alert: I am not the cheery one

Every time I go to run my dishwasher, I am reminded of Eddie, the shipboard computer in Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker books. "Hi there!" exclaims Eddie with great cheer, going on to explain just why he can't do what they want, like avoid the missiles rapidly approaching the ship. "Have a nice day, fella!"

I push the button to start the dishwasher. Here is a crappy picture of the button.
See what that label says?
"Start/Cancel"
I push the button.
Frigidaire: Cancel? No problem! Consider that cancelled!
Me: No, not cancel! Start! There's nothing to cancel! (pushes button again)
Frigidaire: OK, it's cancelled!
Me: No, damn it! I want you to start, not cancel. (turns dial to a different setting, then back, and pushed the button)
Frigidaire: Got it! Cancelled!
Me: Arrrrgh.
Repeat for a random number of cycles until it decides to start. Design feature, eh?

*****
We didn't get much more snow overnight, but what we got mixed with sleet and became grainy, and had to be scraped off the car with great effort this morning. My arms are sore, have been all day, and looking out the windows is depressing. Tonight, for once, it can't get dark soon enough for me. The Bruins blew another lead last night, what is wrong with them, and I'm tired and cross. But dinner is in the oven, and I'll read something peaceful and go to bed early, and hopefully tomorrow will be better.

At least until it starts snowing. But that isn't forecast to start until noon.

Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. It's not supposed to be much snow, right? Right?? Oh God, so sick of snow...

    ReplyDelete