Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday Night, and the Blogging is Random

I gave my boss a good laugh today by sending in a vacation request for Christmas week. I was laughing, too--it's March!--but the idea crossed my mind for some reason, and after all, there's no question that I'll want the time off, so why not do it now?

And as I told her, it's good to have a laugh any day, but particularly on a day when we're awaiting more snow. I am so ready for winter to be over already; I think everyone's there now, but Mother Nature is laughing as she flings 6-12 inches our way starting late tonight. Ugh. Or Ukko, as this storm is named: I assume that's pronounced like a toddler being offered vegetables.

Not that I mind a snow day, exactly. But at this point in the season, I'd actually rather just go to work than dig out my car again.

*****
I'm very sad about the upcoming demise of Google Reader. What's more, I find that it makes me nervous about other Google products I use.

Not Gmail, I feel like that's probably secure (right? right??), but the former Google Documents, now awkwardly renamed Drive, will it remain? I am unsure, enough that I am beginning to migrate my documents off it. I started with the most important, the ones that would be Real Trouble to lose, and will work my way down. After all, if I lose the list of heard-it-on-the-radio songs that I want to buy sometime, it's not the end of the world, but I would truly hate to lose my log of the books I've read, and there are plenty of other things that would be problematic to have disappear. I mean, they probably wouldn't, but suddenly I hate to count on that.

And what about Blogger, eh? While we're on the subject. Is that also going to go poof one fine day? Will I lose what I have made, these six and a half years of nonsense and knitting, cats and conjecture? Now I have to worry about that.

Damn you, Google. Enough with the robot cars, already. Was Reader really taking so much of your time to maintain?

*****
I did think of one "geographical" name that fits the new division for the Bruins: the Gulf Division, because the teams go from the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of Saint Lawrence, practically.

Geographical naming is better than selling the naming rights, but still, it's so boring. Go with history: put the Bruins in the Orr Division of the Howe Conference, along with the Messier Division. Out west, the Gretzky Conference could have what? The something Division and the Hull Division? (Man, the west coast teams have practically no history, compared with what I'm used to.)

Well, they'll make the boring decision, so why worry about it? Here, watch kitten against apples instead.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm annoyed enough about Google Reader and iGoogle going away that, if I knew of a comparable email service, I'd switch. I use Reader and iGoogle every day! (Plus, my iGoogle theme is a cute little cartoon octopus. I love my octopus! In fact, it's my Ravatar right now!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate losing google reader. I've switched to feedly but really don't like it. Google reader was nice and clean; feedly junks up my page with a HUGE sidebar of ads. Really, why can't they just maintain it? Damn you google. Get me used to using your products then snatch them away. They had better not EVER get rid of gmail. I don't know what I'd do. I've been using it almost since it started so I have a HUGE archive of emails that I'd have to deal with. Grrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Mary Ellen on this. Loosing iGoogle and Reader are going to put a serious crimp in my enjoyment of the internet. I do NOT want to go back to my excel list of links to blogs I like and I have yet to hone down the main google.news page to a customized fit like iGoogle. So, Google is on my "list" and they better beware!

    Now "they" say you can download any of your google items using Google Takeout: "If you want to retain your Reader data, including subscriptions, you can do so through Google Takeout." I looked at that and it appears you can even download your entire blog archive.

    At least their giving us warning and more time to make voodoo dolls.

    ReplyDelete