Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Jelly Bean Day!

Some celebrate Easter, and if you do, Happy Easter to you. For me, not being a religious person, this is one of those cultural holidays where, if I'm lucky (and today I am!), I'll get to see good friends and eat delicious things. (I will still say Happy Easter to them, of course, just the meaning is different, though if you want, I can belt out a strong, out of tune "Christ the Lord Is Risen Today" with that fun ten-syllable "Alleluia".)

And as well as a delicious dinner, I celebrate thusly:
My Easter includes jelly beans, of course.* I ate far too many of the intriguing little Jelly Bellys yesterday. You never know what flavor is coming next: have another! (The bunny is not new: he's been around since November. But right now, he seasonally appropriate, so he snuck in the photo session.)
*No peeps for me so far, but I bet I can score some marked down tomorrow.

In addition to eating them, I also packaged some up, to give as little tokens to the people I have Easter dinner with.
In all honesty, I will not deny that I wasn't sorry that the jug at Costco was larger than I needed for this little project. Also, yes, that's a Jelly Belly tin I'm carrying them in. Not new: I got it when I lived in Charlotte, which makes it 11 or more years ago.
It was too cute not to keep, and I've used it for various things over the years. (The top's around somewhere too.) It's not an oval, either, though it's hard to see in these photos: it's jelly-bean shaped. Of late, it's been in the knitting area, holding knitting pins. No, not that kind of pins; this kind of pins.

Today, like yesterday, is a sunny, decent-if-chilly day, and to Carlos' relief, that allows for a partially open window. Carlos is a founding member of the Windows Should Be Always Open, All the Way, All the Time Club. He is highly disappointed in me when I close the window, or when sometimes I only open it a little way, not as much as a guy would like. However, he's good at making do.
Are you mocking me? I think you're mocking me.

Never!

4 comments:

  1. My new cat (my parent's old cat) loves it when I open the windows. My parents never opened the windows in their house, which is weird because they always did when I was growing up. I love having the windows open and am looking forward to doing it this year. Winter, go away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am holding out hope that today will be as nice as they say it will but so far it doesn't seem to be getting very warm along the coast :/

    And I'm envious of your jar o' beans. I sort through the entire jar and eat my favorites in descending order until there are just the remains of the duds that I give to someone who likes them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Alleluia has 12 syllables although I will admit one is a grace note -- we must have been brought up with different humnals (that's a hymnal for those that sing too quietly to be heard).

    Not one jelly bean made it here this year. Life can be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter! Mmmm, jelly beans. . . my mom bought "spiced" ones this year, and they reminded me of the gumdrops my late grandfather kept in his candy dish. Yum.

    The "baby cat" at my parents' house is also a member of the Windows Should Always Be Open Club. I can only imagine what he'll be like when they open the window near the new bird feeder.

    ReplyDelete