Monday, September 05, 2011

(Last) Tuesday in PEI

Well, I did do some blogging in Canada, though not as much as I might have. I do unabashedly choose having fun to writing about fun, and sometimes also choose sleeping over writing about what I've been doing. No apologies needed there, I'm sure. Even when I wasn't blogging, I was (we were) glad to have the little laptop there, for checking e-mail and googling the random things that come up.

And now I'm home again, grateful for the day off before returning to the routine, having a quiet afternoon. And for the sake of the blog, time-traveling back to last Tuesday.

**********
We started Tuesday in Charlottetown, seeing the sights on foot and then on bus.

After Anne the Musical closed, they had a show about Buddy Holly starting at the Confederation Centre.


I didn't buy this shirt, but I liked it!

There was a cruise ship in town for the day.

This was not the tour we took. Maybe next time! It amuses me that what I would call a duck boat, they call a harbour hippo.

No, this time, we took a Hippopotabus instead. Front of the top, thank you!

The view was nice (and we were closer to traffic lights than I ever expected to be).


After the tour we had lunch, then stopped at Cows for a cone. Canada's best ice cream!

Anyone know these flowers? Pretty blossoms:

Springing from a large bud:

We saw one of these trucks on the tour, then saw it again (or another one) around town, and finally the third time I got a picture. Couldn't count on it coming by again!

We were headed out of town for a knitterly purpose: to visit Belfast Mini Mills, a place that processes fiber, creates mills for others, and also sells their own yarn and fleece.

We pulled up to find a variety of animals hanging out in the yard. Goats, and sheep, and alpacas, maybe.

And guinea hens, perhaps?


And rabbits!

I didn't know bunnies did the stretch, too! Carlos does this all the time.

Many bunnies, here and there.


And fiber! If you go, and I encourage you to if you have the chance, be sure to say yes when they ask if you want a tour. They have racks of fiber drying:

Bags of fiber waiting its turn.

And they even let you touch the good stuff: qiviut! Soooo soft!

This machine combs the fiber:

And whips it into the room next door for collection.

See the fiber flowing off the machine:


And puddling into the can.

I loved the tour, and so did my mother, who isn't even a knitter (though she's a first-class knit enabler).

The store was also large and well stocked.





And, yes, I bought a few things. Details to come another day (I want to keep the yarn together).

We drove back admiring the countryside.





Went back to the hotel, cleaned up a little, and went to the Culinary Institute of Canada for dinner (the Lucy Maud Dining Room, that is). This was an experience we'd had previously, and it was just as wonderful as we expected. The views are lovely, over the water.




The service is exemplary, and food wonderful. This may look simple, but the steak was tender and flavorful, the green beans cooked but not mushy, and the potatoes were out of this world, with a crisp outside and creamy middle. Divine.


There was a display of cakes outside the dining room, and this was our favorite.


Full credit to Emily Smith for a fun cake!


Days to go yet, but here's one more down!

1 comment:

  1. One might know you'd find a cake with a hockey player. It looks like a lovely trip and I must go just for a ride on the hippopatabus.

    ReplyDelete