Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Work ugh, hockey yay, yarn hum.

I'm thinking of adding a new item to my resume: Excel Support for Senior Vice President. Except that really, it has more to do with how little he can do, rather than how much I can do, with Excel, and I don't know that I should brag about that.

I certainly don't want to set myself up as some sort of expert, when that's far from the truth. Just today, I had to correct something I did yesterday that messed up some hidden columns, and I know better--just because you can't see them doesn't mean you can't change them (damn you, Bill Gates). But I know far more than the SVP.

Yesterday, he called me over to the next building to un-hide a column on a spreadsheet.

Today, he e-mailed me another spreadsheet so that I could print it out for him on one page.

The man needs an admin, so he doesn't have to make me do this nonsense.

Anyway! Seventeen days left in the asylum and I am done (despite his attempt to guilt me* into staying through this next product launch, in September if the current time-line holds). I will try to hold off the waves of why-should-I-care, though I am feeling them already for sure. And although giving notice helped my ability to deal with the crazy, it doesn't remove the entire sting--the place is too crazy for that. I must think of happy things.

*It will sound harsh, he says, but he doesn't mean it that way! But don't I feel guilty for abandoning my team before the project is complete? When they may not be able to make the deadline without me? My team; I like that. If he thinks I'll get cold feet about leaving, well, he'll see.

And for me, these days, thinking of happy things usually involves yarn, or hockey. The NHL playoffs start tonight, though the Bruins don't start until tomorrow. I think it will be a good series, and the Bruins have a chance, though Ryan Miller is going to be a goalie that they don't have to make look good: he is that good. However, the Bruins beat Washington on Sunday, and over the last dozen games played quite well, and I have hope. Also future hope, as we have the second draft pick this year, meaning we'll get one of the best two players coming along, and that can't help but help in the next few years.

As for yarn, I'm coming along well in the second sock at last, enough that I'm going to start looking at patterns and yarn choices for the next pair--stash-diving! I have such yummy yarns to choose from! And I think I'll also start another Meandering Vines shawl, like the one I made my mother, in some of the pretty lace-weight I got on sale a few months back. Mmm, mmm, decisions. Happy thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. lol! I LURVE the guilt trips. I was fortunate to be raised by parents that really didn't believe in guilt trips. When people try to guilt me into something I will tell them

    "I don't respond well to guilt trips. Actually, it kinda makes me want to do the opposite of what I'm being guilted into."

    Yeah, verbatim. That usually stops 'em cold. Stay strong. How much longer do you have?

    ReplyDelete