Wednesday, April 07, 2010

The Day After Giving Notice: the word spreads

Today I got to talk to both the SVP of my area and a director who I sometimes work with but don't report to, about why I was leaving, and whether there was anything the company could do to change my mind etc. [Short answer: no thank you.](The person who is between me and the SVP on my chain of command? Well, he said hi as he passed my desk.) I told the truth, if not the whole truth, and both experiences went as well as could be hoped. (I think the SVP suspects I have either a job I'm not telling them about, or something lined up but not confirmed. Whatever.)

Every other person I talked to about it, people who are similarly "in the trenches", was completely unsurprised that I'm leaving. Not a one asked why. They know.

One asked where I was going, and when told I don't have another job yet, said, "Ah… fed up with the BS…".

Another said, "You don’t have to say a word…..I totally understand", and a third offered to give me a reference if needed.

Someone else said, "I absolutely understand your reasons for doing what you are doing!" and confided that her husband, who also works there, was off interviewing elsewhere today, so we'll keep fingers crossed for him.

When I think about the fact that there was an article in the Globe this week discussing how many job-seekers have been out of work for more than a year*, this seems like such a crazy thing to be doing. Reckless! Wild! Leaving a fairly secure**, decently-paying job, in this economy, one would have to be crazy, right?

*1 in 5!
**It actually feels more secure now that I see how they're reacting to this news. But although that's a nice feeling, it doesn't change my plans.

But I have money saved, I have family who are both willing to and able to help me if need be (yes, I do consider myself very lucky), and I Have To Get Out Of This Job. Non-negotiable. The prospect of being out of work for long is not a comfortable one (I was laid off from my last two jobs, these are not distant memories), but I can't work there any more. Can not. No. This is not an impulsive action; it's a thoroughly reasoned decision.

I do have some confidence that once I get in to a new position, things will work out. I'm a good employee; things tend to work out, once I find something. If need be, I'll temp to get my foot in the door somewhere. I can do proofreading, editing, copy writing, maybe tech writing. Wordsmith for hire! I'm good, folks! Sounds conceited, but there you are. The reason I want to get back into proofing etcetera is that I'm good at it, and that's satisfying.

It will work out.

I turned on my MP3 player today, and listened to the next song that came up on the playlist. Tried not to chortle out loud as they sang, "I'm on my way from misery to happiness today."

And the next song? These differently apt lyrics:

I'd rather run the other way
than stay and see
the smoke and
who's still standing when it clears.

1 comment:

  1. It was in the late 80's, early 90's; right when the economy was getting ready to tank. We had a new house and a new baby. My husband was working as an insurance adjuster and hating every minute of it. I saw my wonderfully sweet caring husband slowing turning bitter and withdrawn.

    One Saturday we were out driving and he suddenly said he wanted to write up his letter of resignation and put it on his boss's desk. I immediately said go for it so he did.

    When he walked out of the office building he was a new man. He looked like the weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders.

    His co-workers, like yours, completely understood. Several said they wished they had the nerve to do the same. Even more said if they did their wives/girlfriends would go ballistic.

    I've never understood that. No job is worth your sanity. No job.

    You'll be fine. You have the courage to do what is right for you.

    It was tough going for a while. We lost our house but almost immediately found a better place to rent which we later bought. I've never looked back and wished he'd stayed.

    ReplyDelete