Friday, April 09, 2010

If I Ran the World...

... some things would not be allowed.

For instance, the temperature dropping 40 degrees from one day to the next. Nope! Not Allowed. Petition Denied.

For the record, I understand that Wednesday's weather was record-setting-ly unseasonal. But it was fantastic. I'm not sure we had a day that nice all summer last year. Words cannot fully express how much I loved walking out into 90 degree, non-humid weather, feeling the sun on my bare arms, driving with the windows open, smelling the flowers blooming. Gorgeous! And I want more of it, more-more-more, and instead it was 50 on Thursday and now it's 50 and raining. Ugh.

Another thing Not Allowed? Thinking that the rules don't apply to you if they're inconvenient.

The building where I work has parking areas all around it, including a separate section at the front of the building. You drive in and turn right into one of the half-dozen spots there, some marked handicapped and some visitor. Or, if you are someone else altogether, you just pull straight ahead and stop at the end, in a non-parking-spot area right in front of the building. Because you apparently have Personal Parking Spot Vision, which allows you to see a parking spot wherever you want to park. Nope! Not Allowed!

What would be allowed? Time off for knitting. Calling in beautiful-day to work. And quitting a job without another one lined up.

Oh, well, I'm proof that you can do that even now. But it wouldn't seem as insane to others. (As someone put it today, "You're quitting without another job? You must have been miserable!")

So far this week, four people at work have told me that I look happier, more relaxed, or "chipper" since giving notice. Mmm-hmm.

Not that it's all sweetness and light, of course. Yesterday I came to this conclusion: when you realize you've started to imagine composing an e-mail that begins, "Listen you jackass...", it's time to step away from your desk for a few minutes. Overall, though, the place is less annoying because I am letting less of the crap bother me.

"Short-term problem", I remind myself.
"I don't have to solve that."
And "I won't be here when that happens."

It's tremendously relaxing. Happy Friday night!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, it got cool here, too. Confusing weather, isn't it?

    Parking lot vision--that would explain what goes on in the fire lane where I live!

    There ought to be a way to send anonymous e-mails to jackasses. :)

    ReplyDelete