Monday, May 26, 2008

Signs of England

Before I get into the signs, I would just like to state that hormones are evil things, and that although I am pleased that I have fewer migraines than I used to, I simply wish that I never got any, ever. That is all.

(Though at least on a long weekend, losing most of a day to a horror-headache doesn't screw me up quite as much as usual. Much of yesterday is a blur of ugh, but today was 99% fine headwise, and thus laundry and other things have been accomplished.)

Meanwhile, here are some signs I took pictures of in England, for your entertainment.

Proving that I had my camera out the whole time, here is a photo from Heathrow. It amused me that instead of men's room or something similar, they had this:


Then there was this truck, whose slogan reminded me of the Little Caesar's ads: Pizza pizza!


We also discussed a possible competitor: Sofa SoGood. Someone should use that. Help yourself. You're welcome.

When I noticed the slogan on this newspaper, I had to snap it:


Modest, aren't they?

This is looking on the bright side and thinking positive:


In the US, a similar thing would be:


I wonder if you can call to complain in the UK, or if they only want good news.

Now, does this sound funny to you? I find it sort of old-fashioned, but cute somehow:


In Cranbrook, I was reminded of Window Arts Malden:


More dismayingly, I found these two error-ridden (and inconsistently error-ridden) signs at my old school. Tsk, tsk.


That should be "to receive"; ouch. Then there's only the one error in this version, which was right next to the first one, but they misspelled "receive" in a different way here. Way to hold up those educational standards.


In a car park in Stratford, I was amused by this:


The poor rejected coins...

Apparently the meaning behind this next one is that if the nearest machine is broken, you have no excuse, and must find another to pay the fee. The fact that that message wasn't clear to me is doubtless a cultural thing.


This one I just liked:


While here, I was looking for the missing question mark.


Attention, Typo Hunt Across America: your services are needed abroad as well.

You may need to click on this to make it big enough to fully appreciate the oddness of this sign.


It's odd to me, anyway. And not as amusing as this one:


Because I love the idea of buying reject pots. Human hair, not so much.

Here endeth the lesson. Good night!

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever find the "female toilet"? That one was my favorite followed closely by the Hair Extension Connection thingy. What a hoot!

    I celebrated an entire weekend migraine-free. Glorious weather and no pain! The past several Memorial Weekends have included the pain part so I sympathize with yours, believe me, I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This post makes me feel like I should have paid much closer attention to the signs last time I was in England.

    ReplyDelete