Thursday, May 29, 2008

Garden, but sock first

Back in November, I wrote about finally finishing the second sock of my second pair of socks. I've been wearing them, and thus washing and drying them, ever since, and what I find odd (for supposed superwash yarn) is how they've shrunk.

Then (and this photo was rotated, damn it):


Now:


Since when doesn't superwash mean superwash, she asked plaintively?

Meanwhile, on a happier note, I went shopping for the garden! We have cukes, green beans, peas, basil, plum tomato, and catnip...


...and, yes, a flowering guy. You're not a vegetable, you in the lower left! But he was so funky-looking...


...he jumped in my cart.

And about the catnip? I brought the plants in tonight so they don't die in the car overnight, so of course I broke off a catnip leaf for Pan (Harold not liking the fresh). Though it does smell like catnip, there was an undertone of lemon on my fingers too. My friend Google says sure, lemon catnip, hasn't everyone heard of that?

4 comments:

  1. I would keep them out of the dryer. I knit one of my son's sweaters in superwash (not my first choice, but his) and I wash and dry it inside a pillowcase. But I don't dry it until it's bone dry--I let it finish out of the dryer. Some superwash sock yarn labels, I've noticed, will say you CAN machine wash them, but it will prolong the life of the sock if you hand wash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My winter-weight superwash socks get all pill-y when I toss them in the dryer, so I let them dry on a clothesline (which takes forEVer!) The other socks I have knit are all fiber mixes with only 30%-40% or so wool content. They get tossed in both washer and dryer every week with no ill effects. (Granted, none are more than a year old at this point.)

    WHERE DID YOU GET PEAS? (Must try another store this weekend.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute socks! I am so impressed that you made them yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope it's not too late to say....I really loved the Flowers in England photos! Of course flowers are beautiful in themselves, but I must say you have a great eye for framing the picture. Thank you once again :)

    To get back on topic, I've found that not all superwash yarns are equal....sadly, the finding out is after the fact of shrinkage.

    ReplyDelete