Monday, May 19, 2008

Being Earnest

Thanks for the kind words about my photos from England. I am a camera addict, that's for sure, as anyone who has seen me in action can attest. I mean really, how many people are away for less than five days, including travel time, and have 454 photos to sort through? Even I think I'm weird ... and then I see something and have to reach for the camera again.

Anyway! As I promised, we'll take a little break from the pictureness for one day at least, since I actually do have something else to talk about (seriously, the world goes on while I get over my trip lag). In fact, I had an event on Saturday which was quite fun, and theatrical.

That doesn't sound quite right; what would the right word be for "relating to theatre"? Because I wasn't acting theatrically, I was in a theatre in an audience capacity, or more strictly speaking, an usherly capacity.

Confused yet? Months ago, the Globe had an article on cheap and free things to do around Boston, and one of the things they mentioned was that a lot of theatres will let you see the show for free if you volunteer to usher. And, one of the upcoming shows they mentioned was Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. Only one of my favorite plays ever! I looked it up, found it wasn't playing until May, and promptly volunteered anyway, because hey, I have no plans in May.

And then it turned out that on Saturday, May 10th, I would be out of the country, and I had to rebook. Oops. Fortunately, they were fine with it, and I was on for the following week's matinee. And it was fun!

What I had to do was:
  • arrive an hour before show time
  • place thank-yous on season subscribers' seats (a great way to learn the seat numbering system)
  • tear tickets
  • a little ushering
  • say please use the other entrance during set changes at intermissions
  • and finally, stay after to pick up programs (and cups and candy wrappers, some of you people are a little gross, really) (Wasn't everyone brought up to clean up after themselves?)
Hardly arduous tasks. For that I saw a really good play whose cheapest weekend ticket was $40. What a deal!

I really love that play. It surprises me, whenever I see it done, that some people always sound surprised at the classic lines. I know it so well, I can't remember not knowing it all, and loving every bit.

The Lyric's production was good, too. The acting was very high quality, the sets and costume quite lush--and hey, how about that ushering?

I would totally do this more often if I lived in town. Not that I live that far out, but the time and cost involved in getting into Boston means I will probably limit myself to plays I really want to see. If you have the opportunity, though, do try it!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go get my geek on. Having visited the library, I have the choice of reading Stephenie Meyers' latest, The Host, or a new-to-me one called City of Bones, which Tamora Pierce was lauding in her blog and which looks right up my alley, or watching Doctor Who.

I'll probably start with the latter, as I prefer to crack open a new book when I have time to finish it (without missing too much sleep, that is). I've watched Doctor Who more and more lately, to the point where I want to watch all of the 9th Doctor and the 10th Doctor, in order, and get all my ducks in a row, if you know what I mean. I've reached the point where I feel like I'm missing things, because, well, I am. So library to the rescue!

What do people who don't read do to achieve the high I felt walking out of the library? Is it legal?

1 comment:

  1. "What do people who don't read do to achieve the high I felt walking out of the library? Is it legal?"

    HAHAHA! Great line!

    ReplyDelete