Friday, December 21, 2007

So Long, Farewell, Happy Holidays!

I don't know when I'll post next, but I can practically guarantee it won't be until after Christmas. I leave in the morning (over the river and through the woods), and the chances of me blogging from Grandma's are slim to none. I'll just have to take notes to remember everything I want to tell you!

Here's something for you today, though. It's the list (from BookFinder.com) of 2007's top out of print books, and I was pleased to see that on the U.S. list, two of them are knitting books! I mean, it's too bad that they're out of print, but cool somehow just the same.
6. The Principles of Knitting (1988) by June Hemmons Hiatt. An indispensable resource on hand knitting
8. Aran Knitting (1997) by Alice Starmore. History and how-to about the Irish knitting technique
It finally stopped snowing overnight, and the forecast for Sunday contains rain (gasp), not snow, if you can believe it. According to different sources, it's either the second or third snowiest December on record for Boston, which frankly disgusts me.

This morning I was flashing back to my last winter in Boston before I moved to North Carolina. This was 93-94, and all I remember was a steady cycle of going out in the morning and cleaning off my car, going to work, coming out at night and cleaning off my car, and going home. Lather, rinse, repeat. The Globe started to put a little drawing of one of the Celtics (Robert Parrish, maybe? he was 7 feet tall, wasn't he?) on the front page, and drawing the height of the snow as it compared to him. By the end of winter, they had drawn a snorkel on him, because it was over his head. I really, really hope this winter doesn't continue like that one ... but the portents are not encouraging.

Still, Christmas is coming. The family is gathered at Grandma's, and once I finish my packing and (hopefully) get some sleep, I'll be heading that way. Merry Whatever You Celebrate to you, and I'll catch up with you next week.

Remember, the days start getting longer now!

2 comments:

  1. I well remember that winter of 93-94. It wasn't pretty. I lived in an apartment house with a landlord too cheap to plow the parking area, and all I remember of that winter is shoveling. Shoveling, shoveling, shoveling, and a terrible drive to work on an iced-over Route 95, a drive so bad when I finally arrived at the dead restaurant (I was a waitress), I asked the cook for a cigarette, and I didn't even smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I remember that year. I was lucky enough to work locally at the time. Now I have the 45 minutes one-way on Rt 2 - a real joy.

    At any rate, I hope you had a good holiday and look forward to reading your blog in 2008.

    ReplyDelete