Thursday, April 18, 2024

What the what?

I have an appointment on Monday with my gynecologist for an annual exam and to discuss menopause. 

I went to check in online.

Page after page of questions, some of which have the previous answers carried over and some do not.

On one page, I had to put a zero in for number of pregnancies AND number of full-term births AND number of preterm births AND number of abortions AND number of miscarriages AND one other thing I forget. Of all things not to carry over, I think to myself---though I suppose a patient could have had more of any of those since their last visit, but at age 55 and when I'm coming in to talk menopause, hmm?---and go on.

A few pages later, there is this:

As you are pregnant or have recently had a baby, we would like to know how you are feeling. Please select the answer that comes closest to how you have felt IN THE PAST 7 DAYS, not just how you feel today.

...what?

I am not pregnant, because I never have been, as I just told you. I'm not answering a whole list of questions about my mood over the last week related to being pregnant or having a baby.

But of course it wouldn't let me go back, to see where on earth it got that idea, so I guess I'll have to finish checking in at the office. Sheesh.

10 comments:

  1. I mean, it's nice that they're taking post partum emotions seriously, but come on doctors, know your audience. I had an emergency surgery recently, and part of the rush tests before surgery was a pregnancy test. I'm 46. I don't have Fallopian tubes any longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely something they should take seriously, yes; good point. Just, you know, not to a general audience! And potentially deeply problematic if this happens--imagine someone who is trying to get pregnant and hasn't, or who had a miscarriage. yikes.

      Delete
  2. I love it (not) when forms want to know if I could possibly be pregnant--at 67 years old. Yeah, right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When they were ultrasounding for my spotting at 65 about a week ago I cracked up the tech by asking if it was a boy or a girl. I figured gotta do something to bring some fun into this test.

    But yow. I'm sorry. There should be a "skip questions 8-15 if 7 is no" or some such on a form like that, and having that pointed out to them might get them to update the thing; it clearly needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the what. My 12-year old (and all Grade 7s) had to answer MULTIPLE pregnancy questions to get an immunization at school this year...and every single boy got asked the question, too. It very much took her by surprise and was unnerving. I appreciate that there could be an expectant tween at a middle school but still...I can't remember ever having to answer questions like that at 12?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so upsetting to think of 12-year-olds getting pregnant, and yet, it can happen. I suppose it's better to ask and get 100 no answers than not to ask when there might be one yes.

      Delete
  5. Huh. Interesting. I think I've only had to answer those questions once - the first time I went to my gynecologist's office. You'd think they would have slightly different forms for folks who are post-pregnancy years. *sigh* Classic example of technology failing us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it had to be a glitch, but even so. That could have been very upsetting to some, not just baffling to me.

      Delete