Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Dishing on the Dish

I recently had a little fun crafty excursion with some women I know locally, to a glass-making place, where we all decorated glass pieces: bowls, plates, a cheese board, and in my case and a few others, something they call a swoop dish. This is a plate divided into four quarters, which is first put in the kiln flat to melt everything in, and then kilned again over a mold to make it swoop. Thus, this is what I made:

And the overhead view:
It was great fun picking small pieces and moving them around, considering the effect, moving them again. Because unlike painting, you can change your mind! (At a quick search, I can't find that I wrote about doing a painting session, but I did do that, twice, with friends a few years ago, and while it was interesting, I found it very stressful, trying to keep up with what the instructor was showing us, and not being very good at the actual painting part. I tried the second time to see if I would relax and enjoy it more, but no.)

I started with these four squares, because the colors appealed to me.
Then I picked through the many little bits they had, laying them out.
Moving them around. 
Adding and removing and tweaking.
And finally, I settled on this. (If the layout is working right, that is the pre-firing on the left, and the finished piece on the right.)

It's an interesting learning experience, seeing what works better or not as well. I can see a few things I would do differently, if I do it again, and I'd like to! But I'm very happy with my dish.

Do you see the letter C? What about the outline of Florida? Anything else?

13 comments:

  1. Wow, those are so pretty! I love the colours so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue is my favorite color so I love it. Seeing things is not my forte though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! I can see the "C" and that is it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I made it sound like a quiz--there are no hidden pictures, I promise!

      Delete
  4. Oh, gosh, I didn't even notice the Florida until you pointed it out. It's so beautiful and sounds like a fun thing to do with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! You did a great job--it's a functional piece of Art!

    I see FL, the C, and the bottom right looks so much like the waves and water. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're right, I can see currents in that section too.

      Delete
  6. I see the "C" and the outline of Florida. These pieces of gorgeous!

    I've always wanted to do this as one of our book club experiences, but it's a little over-budget for us, so maybe I need to go with my mom or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it is NOT cheap! But for anyone who's interested and can afford it, yes.

      Delete