Sunday, August 27, 2023

Book Review: Thornhedge

Ursula Vernon, aka T. Kingfisher, recently had a novella come out, called Thornhedge, which is a twist on the tale of Sleeping Beauty. Well, not just a twist: she took the fairy tale, inverted it like origami, turned it upside down, pleated the edges, and viewed it through a prism. Bringing up, and looking at possible answers to, so many questions:

  • Who is the hero?
  • What is a hero?
  • Who and what are the villain?
  • Why does each do what they do?
  • Who pays the price when things go wrong, even if they go wrong for the right reasons?
  • What is family, really?

So much going on in such a short piece. Really fun.


I loved this little book. I got it from the library, but I may need to buy my own copy. 

7 comments:

  1. I'll add it to my list - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fairy tale retellings have not been my jam recently, but this one is available at my library, so I placed a hold on it. Kingfisher titles have never let me down so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, give it a try! I promise I won't be upset if you don't enjoy it, or DNF it.

      Delete
  3. That illustration. That was my yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, this sounds good! I'll see if they have it at my library.

    ReplyDelete