Monday, August 07, 2023

Book Review: The Mimicking of Known Successes

Mary Ellen has been telling me for a while that I needed to read Malka Older's The Mimicking of Known Successes, and guess what, I finally did! 


It's an interesting mix of genres: it's clearly a mystery in that they're trying to figure out what happened to someone who vanished, but at the same time, being set on Jupiter, where humans have set up shop to try to figure out how they can fix the Earth (basically, undo all the destruction humanity caused) and get a planetary do-over, there's definitely something sci-fi going on. 

I don't read a ton of mysteries these days, but this combo definitely caught my attention. I enjoyed the writing style and the world-building, and I'm looking forward to the next one (which very much isn't out yet) already.

8 comments:

  1. Okay, this sounds perfect for me. I went ahead and placed a hold on it at the library. I'm thanking you in advanced because heaven knows I won't remember that you recommended it by the time I read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It was unusual, which I don't mean as a backhand compliment. No wonder I kept seeing mentions of it all over.

      Delete
  3. I read this quite recently too, and I'm trying to remember how it was recommended to me - I loved it, and I do read mysteries, but I enjoyed the sci-fi aspect and the relationship even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't figured out a good way to keep track of where I read about a book that I want to try, but there are times when I really want to know.

      Delete
  4. This sounds good! Like, Engie (NGS) I'm going to place a library hold on it. I love mysteries, and have recently gotten over my aversion to sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete