Sunday, April 12, 2020

Of Feet and Hair and Knitting

Feet
Yesterday, as my mother and I were preparing for a major expedition (Walmart and Aldi), I looked at a pair of sandals that Mom brought home for me shortly Before All This, that I hadn't really tried, and thought, why not wear them today and see how they do? In the last few weeks, I've gone for a walk after work a few times, which with my silly tenderfeet* has led to some soreness after, so I thought I should shop around the closet and see if I had anything better for half a mile or a mile around the neighborhood.
*As I have mentioned before.

Well. No. Emphatically no, not these. I made it through the shopping, hobbling by the end, then took them off in the car before we even got home. After getting the groceries inside, I looked in amazed dismay at the damage: large blisters on both sides of both feet. Impressive! Particularly considering that I walked around the living room in the sandals before we left and they seemed fine. Nope, nope, nope.

Sleeping without putting pressure on them was awkward, but overall the feet are doing better today, though I have to be much more aware of them and the positions I put them into, like for standing up. If you are like my mother, and can basically never think about your feet, do take a moment to be glad about that, won't you? I would love to be like that.

Hair
How's your hair doing? Assuming you don't live with a stylist, and are not one of those people who can go months or years between cuts, I assume you are, like me, starting to see the difference.

I get my hair trimmed every four weeks, usually. I have short hair that annoys me when it gets shaggy and into my eyes and tickles the back of my neck. (Fun fact, up north I went every five weeks, but it grows faster down here.) I was due a week ago yesterday, though in fact even if the salon hadn't closed down by then, I had that awful migraine and would not have been able to go. Either way, I am now at the stage where most people wouldn't notice much, but I can definitely tell it's longer than I'm used to. On Friday, it was bugging me enough that I put the headband on just to keep it out of my face.

I am fortunate that I don't color my hair, so I don't have that to worry about; things are going to get interesting, though, aren't they? (And I know, if that's the worst thing we have to think about ... but sometimes I get overwhelmed by the more serious aspects, and have to focus on things like this.)

Knitting
As a knitter, I generally try to resist the desire to start another new project: it's not that I'm monogamous, but I like to see progress, so the fewer projects active at once, the more I can see what I'm getting done. These days, though, all bets are off.

I was working along on the second seashell shawl when I started to feel the pangs of startitis for the Trianglegram shawl with the Dirty Water Dyeworks yarn I got at Ravelry, and I finally cast that on March 1. It's coming along very nicely; here's the most recent photo of it I've taken.
I put it aside to whip out the headband, but otherwise have been happily working away on it. Until Friday night, when I was seized with the desire to wind yarn and cast on something lacy. Which has gotten me to here so far (crappy picture, but you get the idea):
The yarn is the cashmere/silk that I picked up at Rhinebeck from Jo of Celtic Memory Yarn, and wow, it's been longer than I realized since I've knit lace! I seem to have gotten right out of the groove on that, but it will come back. Lovely yarn, and the pattern is a free one from Alison (hi, Alison! please don't tell me if you can see mistakes in that photo!), Marnie's Scarf.

This will not make good social knitting, at least not for a while, so it can stay by the couch, and the Trianglegram can be virtual-SnB-group knitting, since I now have two of those weekly: Mondays with my friends from up north, Thursdays with the group down here (one of whom is now back in Minnesota and another in Canada, but still dialing in). Trying to keep reaching out during isolation.

1 comment:

  1. How interesting, I wonder why your hair grows faster down there?

    ReplyDelete