Friday, February 28, 2020

Building Work Updates and Coping Strategies

We learned on Thursday that the window replacement work starts next week. It's stressing me out because it's full of unknowns, and as you may have gathered if you've been reading here long, I am a planner and an anticipator and not at all good at spontaneity. Especially if it will come in the form of a worker showing up at the door and telling me I was supposed to have done XYZ already.

I am reminding myself that it is a really, really good thing if they can get this done, especially before I have a friend visiting in a few weeks, because the thought had crossed my mind that it would just figure, wouldn't it, if the two overlapped, and my office is also the guest room, and has a window, so that could have been very awkward. So this is better! And get it over with!

But I am still stressed out, so I thought I should remind myself of the ways I am coping and trying to get through this with my sanity not entirely in shreds (just partially).

One. I ordered noise-cancelling headphones. They won't provide me with a personal cone of silence, I don't think, but if they would just take it down to a dull roar, that would help. Anything would help.

Two. I was at the yarn store for knit night when I saw the email about the window work, so I bought some therapeutic yarn. I buy yarn there every once in a while anyway (it feels awkward to go and never buy anything, especially as so often I'm not working on a project using yarn I bought there, either), but I needed something comforting, and this does the trick.
Claudia Hand Painted Yarns, Oh Baby, which is a merino-silk blend; the color is called Mushroom Hunting, and it's a light taupe/brown that shimmers. The grande skein is 700 yards, 200 grams. And the way this catches the light is just lovely. I bought some of it last year at a trunk show, and haven't worked with it yet, but I'm willing to take the chance that it will be as great to work with as it is in the skein.

Also, The Loopy Ewe had a leap-year sale* on some limited colorways of one of my favorite yarns, Socks That Rock, where the first skein is full price but the second is $2.29, so I couldn't resist that, either.
*Runs through Saturday night, if you want to jump on it!

Three. Planning knitting! I'm still working away on the second Seashell Shawl, and am about halfway through the yarn I have, but I've been wanting to wind yarn (the Dirty Water Dyeworks colors shown here) and cast on a new project (the Trianglegram by Stephen West), and I'm going to!

Little things that will hopefully help. As is the hope that March won't be quite as crazy at work as February has been. On to a new month!

No comments:

Post a Comment