Thursday, June 06, 2019

Get-Away Thoughts

Perhaps because today was the fourth day this week (out of four, but who's counting) that I've been listening to the sounds of nearby tree-trimming* (chain saws and leaf-blowers and wood-chipper, oh my), I found my thoughts today kept slipping to thoughts of getting away, in immediate, longer-term, and far-off ways.
*They were at our property Monday and Tuesday, and then right next door yesterday and today.

The immediate-term planning is for Saturday, when I'm going out on a boat, something I haven't done in, oh, years-if-ever. One of my new acquaintances in this newcomers club I joined here has put together a little half-day trip to go to a tip of the island that is hard to get to on foot*, and has wonderful shelling. I'm excited for it! But I'm also a nervous-planner especially with new things, so I've been making my list and thinking through what I want to be sure to have with me. Pictures to come!
*You can get there without a boat, as long as you correctly answer one of two questions: 1, do you want to walk 5 or 6 miles? Or 2, how about wading through the lagoon? At low tide, it shouldn't be higher than your waist!

The longer-term is my trip up to Boston over 4th of July, which is mostly just thinking about what to pack at this stage, since my flights are already booked, and friends alerted. I'll be there for four full days, which is a nice amount of time, and not planning to "do" a whole lot other that hang out with friends and maybe, if we get ambitious and the weather cooperates, do a day at the beach. I am hoping to see some of my knitting friends, specifically, and look forward to chatting with them about...

The far-off trip, in October, to Rhinebeck! It's actually going to be an Apple Festival\Boston\Rhinebeck trip, so there's a lot of figuring to do. Flight from Florida to NY is step one of the travel planning. Step two is getting from NY to Boston, and unless I want to leave at 5 AM or arrive at 10 PM, it looks like I might be taking the train for that! Then step three is getting home again, when I assume that I will be full up on fun, and ready for my own bed, and my cat, again.

Lots of thinking, planning, anticipating, fun!

1 comment: