Friday, February 02, 2018

A Small, Long-Delayed Accomplishment

I recently got something done, by which I mean I found someone who would do something I wanted done, and paid them to do it, but it came out so well that it makes me disproportionately pleased.

I searched my archives to see if I'd written anything about this topic before, and in fact I did: I mentioned when I bought this book, in 2012, and then again when I discovered that it was mis-bound, with pages out of order. In 2013, I mused that I wished I could come up with another use for the book, but couldn't work it out. I know that at least once in recent years, I searched etsy for a person who would make a book safe out of one's own book, but only seemed to find ones that used books that they found (which is perfectly valid, of course, just not what I was looking for).

This time, though, while I was looking at one such person, and reading the reviews by happy customers, it occurred to me to send a message asking about custom work, and lo and behold, the answer was yes! I mailed the book off, and in a pretty short amount of time, it came back to me.

Still looks like a book!
Even from above, except for a slight shiny look to the pages.
It's pretty light, though. And although the first few pages are there:
Underneath, there's a lack of content:
Otherwise known as a hidey-hole.

If you're ever in the market for something similar, I recommend her work:

She also makes clocks, lamps, and other shapes of book safes, like a heart, or customized for your favorite chocolate bar. Really. Check out her etsy shop. Two thumbs up.

1 comment: