Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Laptop Update

Overall, I am very happy with my new computer, and since I haven't fully transitioned everything off the old one yet, every time I crank it up and waaaaiiiitttt for it to dooooo anyyyyyything, I am more grateful.

However.

As I mentioned, it has this Issue about staying connected to the wifi. Oddly enough, some days it seems fine, but most days (like today!) it drops over and over and over. Sometimes it goes to a "Limited" connection, sometimes it drops altogether. Sometimes it will reconnect at the push of a button, other times it takes a while, sometimes it says it can't connect, though that is often followed by it connecting itself. It has dropped perhaps 10 times as I try to write this. It's maddening.

It's dropping so much, and I'm having to reconnect so much, that I now know someone near me has named their wifi network Waffle House, which is a funny choice.

When I tried googling it, I found that it was an issue going back to Windows 8, which Microsoft in its infinite laziness has not fixed. I found various websites talking about workarounds to fix the problem, but I swear, every one of them, when I looked at the instructions, became the print equivalent of the teacher talking in a Charlie Brown cartoon. There's no way I'm getting into that level of computer tweaking. But I don't know how else to get it to stop doing this. I'll ask my brother if he can dial in, sometime, and see if he can get it to behave.

But not tonight. I can't fight it any more tonight. I'm already bummed because I was all excited and hopeful earlier to talk to someone at a shelter about taking Belmont, only she wouldn't because of Belmont's age, and now I'm kind of discouraged again. Time to think about something else.

3 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with my work laptop dropping our wifi at home. My fix probably won't do for you. I had my husband run wire to where I work with it so I could just hardwire my connection. I got so sick of the connection dropping out. It was even more maddening with mine since my workplace instituted a new policy requiring a key sign in EACH time you have to connect via Citrix. Gah. Switching to hardwire is aggravating since I'm stuck in one spot but it did take care of the drop off problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ughhh so frustrating. insanely this happens to me more AT WORK than it does at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you thought about a wired connection instead? If your router is in another room then you can use 'Homeplug' technology - which uses the mains electricity cabling as your hetwork. You just plug in a Homeplug adapter into the electric socket, with a cable to your router, the do the same at the other end with the laptop.

    http://www.techradar.com/news/networking/powerline-networking-what-you-need-to-know-930691

    ReplyDelete