Friday, June 01, 2007

Yarn Harlot Mass. visit update: date change

I was in the Borders at Wayside Commons again tonight (not shopping for myself this time, thanks for asking), and since I didn't see anything posted in the store about the Yarn Harlot's visit, I asked when I checked out, and the young woman said that the date had been changed (sinister music here: don't mess with my calendar!). So here is my public service announcement:

NEW DATE: Thursday, AUGUST 2, at 7 PM

This is the Borders in Burlington Massachusetts, and the current plan is to have Stephanie speak in the store, or as the employee put it, they're trying to figure out where to put 300 people. Because they are not in the clueless "put out 10 chairs" category, thankfully, although I can't wait to see where they think they're going to put 300 knitters. It's a decent-sized store, two stories, but still.

Important information: they are taking names, and they are planning to cap the list at 300, so if you are planning to go, you may want to get your name on that list. As of this evening, the list was very short, since they haven't started publicizing the event yet (I get the feeling I'm doing more than they are so far), but I wouldn't leave it too late. (Or if you do, and you don't get in, don't come crying to me.)

Lucia was the first name on the list. It was funny to see a name I recognized from blogland and realize that she had been in the store: she has corporeal form! Not that I didn't think she did, but it was one of those moments when reality meets ether.

Now, since I had no scheduling conflicts for the July 12 date, of course I am not so lucky for the new date. I hope it will still work out, though, since I have what might be called a benign conflict. My cousin, JL, is coming to visit me this summer, for a just-girls week of fun, and guess what day she arrives? Why, August 2, of course! But her plane gets in mid-day, so (famous last words) that shouldn't be a problem (it's not like she gets in at 7, or anything). I e-mailed her, to ask if she'd like to come with and watch the 300 crazy people, or sit home unwinding with my cats and a pizza, or whether her first night of vacation will only be complete with me and without a Yarn Harlot. I honestly do think she'd find the evening entertaining, but of course I am biased, so I'll have to wait and see what she thinks.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely an important thing to get out there. I'll link it from my blog, if you don't mind, you lucky knitter who will see Stephanie IRL. (Granted, my average is less than 50 hits a day, but it's something, right?)

    And then, you'll get a link over at Knitting Culture on top of that, once you post your experience of the event. ;o) Someday, I aspire to having a "I've seen the Yarn Harlot" link there. For now, I just have to content myself with living vicariously. :o) And I'm definitely rambling now. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your public service announcement is appreciated! I have flagged it to follow up tomorrow when the store should be open. DD will be here visiting then, so I have no work conflicts AND I have the mom-guilt thing down well enough to ensure that she would LOVE to come with me to this event. :-)

    p.s. Although the Borders run wasn't for yourself, did you manage to get out *without* something for yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good reporting, ccr - you're going to have lots of people blessing your name. And don't forget to go over yourself and add your Represent posts at Knitting Culture, too, especially since you do have crowd shots! Annalea's looking for posts with those, right Annalea? ccr made some wonderful posts about Represent back in March.

    Good luck with enticing the cousin to see Steph. Surely she'll be intrigued; there's a genetic connection with you, after all. ;) If she needs convincing, just direct her to a few Harlot posts. You know, like the 'locked out of the hotel room' one. [eg] Surely she'll get assimilated, knitter or not.

    ReplyDelete