Thursday, June 21, 2007

Welcome to Boston, Monsieur Julien (plus, knitting)

Welcome to the microscope. The coach of the Bruins lives there.

Yes, the Bruins have a new coach, officially (their 28th, in about 80 years in the NHL), as of today.

Not for long, most likely. As the CBC noted,
No Bruins head coach has survived at least 400 games behind the bench since Don Cherry went 231-105-64 between 1974 and 1979.
Of course, Claude Julien used to coach in Montreal. He knows what it's like under the microscope.

And he was fired there, and in New Jersey. He knows the short-term thing, too.

(How do they do it? Live like that, work like that? I can't imagine.)

I hope he's thick-skinned, though one imagines he must be, to survive the profession. Try to be understanding, Claude, of the announced preferences for candidate Mike Milbury in the press this week. Bruins fans are always going to have a preference for former Bruins as coaches, especially Bruins players who are known for having on occasion gone into the stands to defend their teammates; it's just how we are. Nothing personal. I don't think anyone was surprised that Peter Chiarelli hired someone with whom he shares history, rather than someone with Bruins history (I wasn't), but you can understand Bruin fan wistfulness for someone we know. Asking us to accept a former Montreal coach is a slightly bitter pill, vous savez?

Meanwhile, there's been no word about what former coach Dave Lewis will be doing for the Bruins for the next three years. You remember, he wasn't fired, he was relieved of his coaching duties, and was going to be reassigned to other positions within the club. Is it just me, or is that a little ... vague? He could be cleaning the bathrooms, as far as that goes. And for myself, for that kind of money, I would clean bathrooms and whistle while I worked, but hey, that's just me. I do think it's a little weird that he's going to be hanging around, not coaching. No doubt I don't understand the subtle legalities of such things, but hey, if you don't want him, fire him. Let the man go home and lick his wounds in private. Really, what are they going to have him do?

------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, there's knitting. You remember, I knit? No, really, I do! You may recall, way back, I mentioned that I was going to make hats to match the baby sweaters, and I have finally gotten around to it, and finished the first one (the second one is halfway done: when I get to a thing, it gets got to). If I do say so myself, cute!


And here with its sweater:


Can't wait to see a baby in there! (And yes, of course it's going to be a while, I didn't make the smallest size. A girl can dream, can't she?)

4 comments:

  1. CUTE PICTURES! I love the sweater and hat set. You done good!

    As for the Bruins...well, I don't profess to understand any of it, but the reassigned coach thing is 'way weird in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwwwwww - hat and sweater make a great set! Lucky baby.

    Reassigned... oookay. Right. What, to the farm team? But then I'm another know-nothing about sports except those involving horses, so most of it sounds weird to me. ;) But yeah, that seems strange even to a know-nothing! Good luck with your new one. Maybe keep him stocked up on poutine? [g]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just thought I'd drop by and say hello. Who knew there would be another cat owner that knits and loves the Bruins? And I thought I was so different...

    I also thought Milbury would be a good choice (other than the fan beating being a positive reason for bringing him back, he once rubbed my tattoo for good luck) and I'm not sure how I feel about Julien. What I'm really curious about is his firing from New Jersey. What the heck hapened there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reassigned "somewhere", huh? I'm still trying to find out why the principal of the local high school is on paid administrative leave from April this year through the next school year (June 2008). My tax dollars at work... At least the Bruins are a privately held corporation.

    Love the baby set!

    ReplyDelete