Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Cat Story, and a Bad Day

Have you ever had one of those morning when you know you want something, but you don't know what? Pan had one of those mornings Sunday. I was trying to read the Globe, and he was wandering from one thing to another, meowing.

What do I want? Is it food? Maybe I want food. "Meow!"
"What?"
"Meow!"
"You have food."
"Meow!"
"You do, too." I show him the food, shake the bowl, he eats a little, stops.
"Meow!" He has some water.
Leaves the room, and I hear the jingle ball ringing madly.
"Meow!" He's back, sitting by the door.
"No."
"Meow!"
"You don't go out."
"Meow!"
"You're an indoor cat."
"Meow!"
"That door is not always open. That door is never open. I have not just closed that door, it's always closed."
"Meow!"
He jumps into an empty cardboard box, and the next thing I know, he's thumping around in it, chasing his tail. After a moment of that, he gets out, walks to the other side of my chair, and looks up.
"Meow!"

At this point, I give in. I have an idea of what he wants, really.
"Come on, Pan-pan. Mama lap."

He follows me into the living room, waits for me to get the blanket settled, jumps onto my lap, and after a moment of petting and purring, falls into blissful sleep.

That was what he wanted!

He was a limpet all day. Every time I sat down, I had a cat on my lap. It was funny, in an odd way, because I had a headache in the afternoon and evening, so I was kind of out of it, and somehow didn't notice him right away. I would just look down a few minutes after sitting down, see him, and say, "Oh, hi."

So that was Sunday. Yesterday was a Truly Awful Day. Any day when going to the dentist is only the third worst thing to happen is not a good day. But I had ice cream for dinner, so there, and today Will Be Better. Or else!

2 comments:

  1. I sympathize with your Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Curiosity compels me to ask what were the two things WORSE than the dentist and what in the blue blazes did you have done?

    And I truly hope today is better.

    p.s. The date/time stamp of this comment is one of the reasons I have trouble with dates and time zones. My computer says it is 11:18 AM, not 8:25 AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.p.s. So, once I posted it, of course the correct time showed up. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete