Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Yarn Given and Gifted (and Ordered)

On my birthday, but not as a birthday gift, I was handed this:

A while back, one of my knitting friends mentioned that she had this big ball of yarn, passed to her by someone else, that she had decided she wasn't going to use, and did anyone want it? I said, ooh, pretty blue, and then forgot all about it until she handed it to me at lunch.

It's the size of a basketball.

It is, in fact, 1280 yards, or 760 grams, of aran-weight Rambouillet wool, Empire from Jill Draper.

I did a bit of a double-take at the price tag: $150? Well, now it's $165. 

But that's actually not out of the question for a sweater quantity, I suppose. Not that I think I would spend that, and not that I'm of a mind to make another sweater right away! It's not quite as soft as I usually like, but hey, we'll see what happens.

Then my cousin sent me yarn for my birthday, and does she know a "me" color when she sees it?

Three balls of Mandala Ombre from Lion Brand, and let me tell you what, this is so nice and soft! And blue! (She also sent a really pretty little cat-and-moon stained glass piece, which I have put safely away for now because I'm having a drop-it day, so I will get pictures of that another time.)

And then, you know.

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! And wow. Rambouillets were the softest of the soft Merinos, separated out by the French to try to improve the breed (going back, if I remember correctly, to the time when it was a capital offense to take Merino sheep out of Spain and someone smuggled some into France anyway.) So it should be decently soft. I'm assuming the mill oils were pre-washed out. Sometimes...a tight spin to keep the pilling down does add more friction to the surface and makes it less soft but it holds up well.

    But anyway. That's a gorgeous yarn, and the Lion Brand makes me want to dive right into some blue here, too. Have fun! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete