Saturday, May 02, 2020

I Forgot to Tell You This Part!

I had a vague feeling when I wrote about going to the trunk show that I was forgetting something, and this morning I remembered! (This morning ... at 6:30, when the alarm cat woke me up to eat ... and my body was so tired, and it's Saturday so I could sleep in, but my brain started clicking...)

There were a few other customers at the trunk show when we were there, and I started talking to one woman; I don't even remember if it started as "Can I squeeze by behind you?" or "Oh, pretty yarn!" but when we looked at each other, she exclaimed, "Don't I know you?"

She didn't really look familiar to me, beyond a very vague 'she might remind me of someone,' so I said that I get that a fair bit, which I do. But she looked right at me and asked if I was from Charlotte NC.

Now, as I've no doubt mentioned, I did live there, but it was years ago, from 1994 to 2002 in fact. So I told her that I had, but a long time ago, and that I worked for Barnes & Noble most of my time there ... and she had worked there, too. We established that she and I had only overlapped at the same store for about a year (B&N had three stores in CLT, and I worked in one and then moved to another). And she recognized me.

Frankly, I was and still am kind of stunned by that. She said it was the eyes, as soon as she saw my eyes she knew she knew me. I do have the big brown eyes from my Dad's family, but still, how wild is that? I don't think I've ever been recognized by someone 20 years later.

Have you? Been recognized, or done the recognizing? Any good stories of running into someone years later?

No comments:

Post a Comment