Friday, February 01, 2008

Is it over yet?

The latest attempt to convince me that I am the sole person in at least a 200-mile radius who doesn't care about the Pats comes courtesy of this morning's Boston Globe*, which had an article about other things you could do on Sunday.

*which I'm not linking to because I have the devil of a time finding anything on their website, it's like they don't want real-paper readers to ever find anything electronically

Sounds good, right? Well, yes, but what went up my nose was the sub-head. The headline, in WWIII-size type, is "Instead", and under that it starts out,
"Let's say you just don't care. Or, more realistically, say you just can't take all those hours of pregame hoopla."
How about that. It's unrealistic that anyone could "not care", so we'll try to come up with some other reason that someone, anyone, might conceivably want to do anything else on Sunday. Could any opener more loudly cry, "My editor made me write this"?

And in case I need to say so, I don't care about the Giants, either. If they were to win, I would be happy for my father, who has been a Giants fan far longer than he has been a father; if the Patriots win, I will be happy for everyone who lives around here, since apparently they all care.

But either way, I don't care. I'll probably do my grocery shopping Sunday evening. I imagine the store will be pretty empty after kickoff, don't you think?

The Bruins beat Ottawa (Eastern Conference leaders) last night, by the way. Tomorrow night, they face the Western Conference and league leaders, Detroit. Isn't it a good weekend for hockey?

1 comment:

  1. No, you are NOT the only person within a 200 mile radius. I know Dave at Cabin Cove doesn't care, so counting my husband, that makes 4 of us at least! Feel better?

    Honest to dog, you'd think the sun rises and sets on the Patriots and the Sox. You keep the Bruins, I'll keep the Celts and we'll let the other two (the two slowest sports in the world imnsoho) vanish - how's that?

    ReplyDelete