Friday, January 26, 2007

I'm a-walkin' (I'm in pain)

Part of what worked for me in the "being healthier and losing weight" way was walking. When I first started this, a year and a half ago, my last job had just finished, and I had plenty of time for long walks. When I started working here at the Marketing Department of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, I was pleased to learn that several people in my department routinely spent morning and afternoon breaks walking. Skeptics to the contrary notwithstanding, I think that 15 to 20 minutes of exercise twice a day is better than nothing. And so it seemed to prove.

Recently, of course, I haven't been on the bandwagon. I was sick, then I was cold-weather lazy, I guess is the only excuse. This week, I've walked more than half the breaks, and suddenly wow, my back is gently achy all over, and my legs a bit too. Just that small amount of walking was keeping me in slightly better shape than without it, apparently. I'm going to try to get back into the swing of it and keep it up, both for my health and so that once I'm used to it again, I don't have to get used to it again.

(I have been sleeping well this week. On the flip side, though, I've been so tired!)

Having said this, no walking today. But why, you ask? Well, this was when I got into the car this morning:


See that temperature? Need a close-up?


Without wind chill, that is. When I left work, it was 8. I only went outside today when absolutely necessary: to get to work, to fuel the car (which I love how I put off until I was riding E on the coldest day of the year, now that's good planning), to mail bills, to get home. Period.

And yes, I can walk inside, and sometimes do. The thing is, today I dressed for the weather, in extra layers, which means that if I start seriously walking, I overheat in no time, and am all sweaty and feel icky. Not to be too girly, but no thanks. I knew I'd be getting enough exercise tonight, doing my night-before-the-party headless chicken impression. Now, to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment