Tuesday, January 30, 2007

How did you get here

When I started blogging, my mother asked me how people would know about my blog. I told her that generally, there were two ways:

1. I tell someone it's there, and where to find it. Friends or family, people I know, and that's most of you. Hi!

2. I comment on someone else's blog, perhaps mentioning my blog, and put a link to it. Generally Crazy Aunt Purl or the Yarn Harlot, sometimes others. Then, anyone can click on the link, come over and look at my blog. I've done this to other bloggers, checked out their blogs from their comments when I've had some time to kill, and found a few I really like this way, so I know it's possible.

I have now learned that there is a number three, and it is interesting, to me anyway (now, there's a name for a blog: Interesting, To Me Anyway. That would be truth in advertising right there).

Web-searches. Actually, I did know about this, since that's how I found Laurie's blog in the first place: I was looking for a simple knit hat pattern. And thank heavens I was! I found that and so much more. But I digress.

I got a cheap thrill the first time I found I could Google-search "ccr in MA" and my little blog came up. I could see, though, that no one other than me (and possibly my mother) would ever search that, so it didn't seem like a generally big deal. As I learn more, though, about site stats, I have learned that my blog has been found by people searching for other things:
  • sirius cybernetics corporation complaint
  • gary larson stop now my brain is full
  • too lazy to exercise
  • yarn harlot godless heathen union
  • legwarmer patterns
  • "genuine people personality" + "Sirius Cybernetics Corporation"
  • purring toy cat marblehead
  • "blue moon fiber"
  • "Ty Burr"
  • sock knitting clubs
  • boston bruins hockey quilts
It's an interesting mishmash, isn't it? Knitting people, Douglas Adams fans, all sorts of random searches going on. (I'd love to know what the "purring toy cat marblehead" searcher had in mind, actually. If you turned into a regular reader here, by any chance, would you let me know?) And mostly none of them are going to find what they're looking for here ... but I can hold out hope that someone might find something they didn't know they were looking for.

And it gives me something to think about, and write about, other than the Bruins. Because let's not go there.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah. I so get those searches. Anything polka dots seems to lead to me. Polka dot cats, polka dot houses, polka dot rhinoceruses.... they all wash up in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda like the "boston bruins hockey quilts". I mean, the possibilities just boggle the mind... [g]

    Alas, I haven't figured out if LiveJournal has a way to check site stats. They don't allow javascript widgets and such, and if you want to modify your blog, you've gotta get into making new layers and futzing with coding additional pages and y'know, I've got enough to do. Damned if I wanna learn coding; it sounds like a PITA. But I'm 'satiably curious, I really would like to figure a stats thing out for mine some day. (And sidebar buttons. No way to just whap 'em in. Most frustrating. Y'ever tried learning by reading a coding manual online when you don't have a programmer's mindset? Argh.)

    ReplyDelete