Thursday, December 21, 2006

Hockey and more

Correction and amplification from my last post to start. The Bruins' last game never did get as close as 5-2. The scoring toward the end went like this:

5-1
6-1
6-2
7-2

Just to be strictly accurate! Also, I forgot to pass along something one of the announcers said after the Bruins scored one of their later goals. It struck me so, I wrote it down so I wouldn't forget:
"You never take your foot off the snake."
I think I speak for more than myself, when I say, "Huh?" Honestly, WTF?

Anyway, the Bruins are in the second period as I type, up 2-0, and while I know they have plenty of time to screw it up, they're actually playing quite well. Even if they don't win tonight, I feel like their improved play is the nicest sort of Christmas gift they could give me. Watching them complete passes and make plays and not give up gladdens my hockey-fan heart.

Something interesting did happen in the first period that had me scratching my head a bit. Vancouver was called for a penalty, and Trevor Linden complained so much, from the bench (it wasn't against him personally), that he got an extra penalty. That isn't unheard of, but he actually got a 2-and-10, two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct and another 10 minutes for, I guess, being super-unsportsmanlike.

What do you suppose he said? The mind boggles. That's a lot of time to get for bitching.

I doubt I'll post tomorrow or Saturday before I leave, though never say never, so it may be a little while before I'm back in this space. Happy whatever makes you happy!

The final word comes from one of Laurie's commenters today, who said something that I find, while not elegantly expressed perhaps, to be still most profound. Meditate on this if you like:
Fear of sucking is an invisible shackle.

2 comments:

  1. I love both quotes. I didn't see the one on Laurie's site, so I am glad you posted it.

    Have a GREAT trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on the quotes, both are great. Here's hoping your Bruins make you happy. Actually, I totally get that first one, and I'm not into sports at all! Unless they involve horses. ;) But you never let an opponent get an opening, I know that much.

    Have a wonderful holiday and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete