Sunday, July 30, 2023

A Reading Interlude

I imagine that I read about No Two Persons by Erica Bauermeister on a blog, but of course I don't remember whose, so I don't know who to thank (was it you? thank you!). 


I got it from the library and really enjoyed it, both the story (how many different people are affected by a book), but also the language and the author's way of putting things.



Grief really is a stowaway, isn't it? You think you can escape, but it comes with you.

I checked the library to see what else they had by her, and was interested that she also has written non-fiction. I know of a few authors who have done both, and oddly enough I usually prefer one more than the other. 

So I got House Lessons: Renovating a Life out, and enjoyed it as well (and no, I can't decide if I liked the style of one more than the other). 


She has such interesting analogies, doesn't she?



8 comments:

  1. I need to go read her--thank you for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The passage about Grief--perfect.
    And what an interesting and astute metaphor about Imagination. I wonder, however, if it's entirely accurate. I'm thinking about all the incredible visionaries of the world and what they imagined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really interesting point! I can totally see how it wouldn't be true for everyone. It feels true for me, though; I don't think my imagination goes that far. Hmmm.

      Delete
  3. It was me! I read NTP earlier this month. Chapter one might be the best single chapter I've ever read. I loved it so much and am glad you did, too!
    https://ngradstudent.blogspot.com/2023/07/no-two-persons-by-erica-bauermeister.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, then thank YOU! I am not good at keeping track of where I heard about books.

      Delete
  4. Excellent analogy for grief. It IS a stowaway, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you can try to distract yourself from it, but it just hangs around, waiting. It's just there.

      Delete
  5. Grief IS a stowaway. That is so accurate. I haven't read this one yet but I intend to. I have read other books by her and I enjoyed them. I read The Lost Art of Ingredients by her and really enjoyed it. It's about a group of people who take a cooking class. It was a really comforting, lovely type of read.

    ReplyDelete