Thursday, October 31, 2019

Well. Not Well. But Apple Festival!

I decided not to try to go to the knitting group at the yarn store tonight, even though I really wanted to, since this congestion has me even more low energy than normal.
Between how I feel, and the fact that it's Halloween and maybe there will be people there tonight but maybe there won't, and I would be aggravated if I mustered the effort and went, only to find no one there*, well, yeah. No. Better a night of rest. Surely, I'll feel better in another week, right?** I mean, it does seem to be very slowly getting very slightly better, but not in a strictly linear progression, and absolutely not fast enough.
*Not to mention that the roofers started back up this week, and the noise has been quite annoying, so I'm already aggravated.
**Just say yes

So for now, let's hop back in time a few weeks and let me tell you about Apple Festival weekend. I had a great time!

I flew up on Friday, fairly uneventful other than incredible crowds and chaos when I changed planes in Charlotte (it was insane; and I used to live there, I've been at that airport many times), the trip was fairly uneventful, just the way I like my travel. Boring and uncomfortable and plenty of time for knitting.


We were up and out in a timely fashion in the morning, to be there about when the festival opened, and had a fine time going through the tents, admiring or side-eyeing the items for sale.

For the crocheters, one vendor had this lovely crochet hook set:
Soft, cuddly ... snakes? Yeah, no.
Mmm, cider and a donut!
We had a food break partway through, to get the fire department's french fries (and get out of the unfortunate [though light] rain that came along), then finished the tents and went back to the house to rest and recuperate (it's a lot of walking, over often uneven ground; my hips were feeling it).

It was an odd feeling not to be going to see Grandma in the afternoon, to show her what I got; the first time after someone's gone feels like taking a step that's not there. But I took pictures of my haul for your sake.
Top row: My pass to get in, now to be a bookmark, and maple cotton candy.
Middle: An ornament with a maple leaf on it; a little bowl in "my china" and lovely yarn, both birthday presents from my aunt.
Bottom: magnet with snowy sheep face; little wooden bowl, just because; and a pretty silver ring that I'll have to get better pictures of. More close up!

I already showed you the pictures of where we went the next day, looking at autumn, but I didn't include one photo we saw on the way back.
Ham loaf? Can anyone enlighten me? It doesn't sound very appealing.

The next day, I got on the train for Boston, as I also already showed you. Getting there! More to come!

3 comments:

  1. It's like meatloaf, but made with ham and ground pork instead of ground beef and pork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the most cheerful start to I assume a sock ever!

    Hope you feel better tomorrow.

    And I hope at least one trick or treater finally shows up so I can dump five pounds of kid-style chocolate in their bags and be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The festival sounds fun. We used to religiously attend Milwaukee Irish fest in August, but now kids are busy packing for college and working, etc. I always enjoyed going through the tents to check out the vendors.

    Ham load sounds awful.

    I adore that rainbow knitting project!

    So sorry that you are not feeling well. I think skipping knitting meeting was a good idea. On Halloween, you never know what people are up to. I do know that last year I spent Halloween in the DMV - no lines. I hate the DMV, but if I have to go - Halloween is the perfect time!

    ReplyDelete